Stabilizer turned plaster and tile dark blue??

Can you provide some more details?

Full set of test results?

Color of pool before addition of CYA?

Even discoloration everywhere or spots?

Copper in water?

Type of chlorine used?

How was the cyanuric acid added?

Equipment details?

Pictures?

Good point. It might not have been cyanuric acid. I have never seen CYA cause that type of reaction. The only thing that I can think of would be a reaction with high copper levels, which could cause purple amethyst colored stains.

The pool was painted light blue..we have a 19 year old kid that services the pool. He told my wife we were losing chlorine so she needed to buy stabilizer. She bought it at Walmart..I added 14lbs through the skimmer basket and had no problems, 3 weeks later pool guy told my wife we needed more..she added 8lbs at the pump..few days later pool started turning dark blue...looks like someone threw in a bunch of those blue cleansers they use in urinals! I'm draining it now..that stuff is really stuck on the tiles..kind of a chalky substance?? I don't know what my levels were as the kid took care of cleaning and chlorinating...think he just added tablets and swept! I have pictures but don't know how to upload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No..unfortunately not..but it was stabilizer and conditioner..Walmart brand..TGB or something like that..I did see the bottles after my wife added the stuff..it was the same stuff we used before...the blue is everywhere..not just in spots..looks like someone painted ..some spots on plaster seem to rub off..but tile..nope!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
22 lbs is a lot of stabilizer. In 50k gallons, that would raise cya by 53ppm. If he's using pucks, it could've already been high. I'm also curious how she added it at the pump. The blue color just adds to the mystery of the whole situation. A good set of test results would sure help with the big picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In an inconspicuous area, let a crushed up vitamin c sit on it for a bit and tell us what happen...eg. If it returns to its normal color or not.

If it does, that means you ay be able to restore your pool with an Ascorbic Acid treatment, but you won't be able to successfully do a treatment without a proper test kit (http://www.tfttestkits.net) and a firm handle on TFP maintenance procedures.

I'm going to take a sample of water to pool store n have it tested..will try the vitamin C tab too...don't believe any algaecide has been used..almost done draining it..because of California's water shortage..don't know if I'm allowed to fill it back up!! Thanks for you help!!

..almost done draining it..because of California's water shortage..don't know if I'm allowed to fill it back up!!

You do know that your pool can float out of the ground, if you have enough rain/groundwater .....right? Do you have a hydrostatic well?

WPTV%20pool%20floating%20near%20Tampa_1438610241154_22217362_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

whoa...you drained a 50,000 gallon pool empty!? are you even allowed to refill it where you are at in California?? really wish you would have waited for some recommendations before you did that, seems like a very drastic course of action. hopefully your water table is deep!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.