Pool Equipment in the Sun drastically affecting the thermostat?!?

Hi everyone,

I'm still a little new here, so I apologize if this is covered somewhere else. I couldn't find a thread that hit my topic directly though.

I've just recently started heating my pool a bit to create that perfect swimming experience. I have been setting the target temp for the pool at 87 degrees. The issue I seem to be running into is a thermostat that is heavily influenced by the amount of sun on the pool equipment. Today I went out to my pool and looked at the in-pool thermometer, and it said 70 (I think it runs low but not super low. Not only that, the water was fairly chilly to the touch). My pool equipment read 110 air temp, while it was only 90 degrees out (I don't think this matters AT ALL, but I'm mentioning it to give you an idea of how exposed my equipment apparently is). The pool was reading at 88. So, that's an 18 degree delta between the in-pool thermometer and the thermostat. Of course, this means that the heater would not kick on.

Now, my solution was to turn the target temp up to 95 degrees just to get the thing started. Then I tapered it down to 90 once it started to heat up.

My questions:

1) I'm not positive where the thermostat is, but it seems like it should be concealed enough to not skew the numbers like this. Is this a normal problem? Is my best solution just to build a cover for my equipment? (Another note: The afternoon shade has moved to that side of the house, and now all of the numbers look better). It just seems as though these systems should not be affected so heavily by direct sunlight.

2) I'm assuming there isn't anything wrong with my temporary solution of upping the target temp, but please let me know if there is.

Sorry if this question seems elementary. I'm truly a novice!

Chris

So I'm a little confused but your setup sounds similar to mine in that you have two temperature probes at your equipment pad - one that dangles around somewhere measuring the air temp and another that is plugged into the PVC piping somewhere (hopefully before the heater) that measures the water temperature. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm a little confused but your setup sounds similar to mine in that you have two temperature probes at your equipment pad - one that dangles around somewhere measuring the air temp and another that is plugged into the PVC piping somewhere (hopefully before the heater) that measures the water temperature. Is this correct?

I believe that is correct. That is the only thing that makes sense given the two temperature readouts.

Sorry if I confused the matter. Like I said, I'm completely novice at this. I'm studying up like I am back in college, so it's starting to come to me, but I'm probably over-analyzing everything!

The air temp sensor foes not affect your heater operation, it would if you had solar. Usually the air sensor is located in a shady area, such as under a control box so it gets a better reading. Most pool equipment is designed to handle outside conditions. But I know what you mean, I actually reside in your area and have the same issue as you

The air temp sensor foes not affect your heater operation, it would if you had solar. Usually the air sensor is located in a shady area, such as under a control box so it gets a better reading. Most pool equipment is designed to handle outside conditions. But I know what you mean, I actually reside in your area and have the same issue as you

Thanks. Ya, the outside air temp is not a concern for me, but it does illustrate just how much effect the sun is having on the equipment.

I read in another thread that a lot of pool guys do not recommend enclosing, or even covering pool equipment. Other than ventilation issues (which a cover would not cause), I don't see why this would be an issue.

I just don't understand how that thermostat (water temp reading) does me ANY good if it can be skewed by up to 20 degrees when the sun is on the equipment. Very frustrating!

There should a probe in the plumbing. That is the sensor that should control the heater. If your pool water is 78F then that sensor in the pipe should be reading that as soon as the pump has run for a minute or two. There is no way, even with your equipment pad in direct sun, for the water temp in the pipe to be heated significantly by sun while the pool water is flowing in it.

My equipment pad is in direct afternoon sun all day long. When my temps hit 100F the air sensor will read as much as 120F. But the temp sensor in the pipe reads the pool water temp (86-89F).

You need to locate the temp sensor that is inserted in the PVC plumbing to see if it is malfunctioning.

As I said earlier, the air temp sensor is not the issue. It is interesting that before my equipment turns on, my water temp sensor reads about 10-15 degrees higher than the pool water temp due to the sun beating down on the pipes. Within 10 minutes, after the pump turns on, the water flowing thru the pipes then reflects the actual water temp. My equipment is on the south side of my house and gets full sun until around 4pm

As I said earlier, the air temp sensor is not the issue. It is interesting that before my equipment turns on, my water temp sensor reads about 10-15 degrees higher than the pool water temp due to the sun beating down on the pipes. Within 10 minutes, after the pump turns on, the water flowing thru the pipes then reflects the actual water temp. My equipment is on the south side of my house and gets full sun until around 4pm

Yes, as I've said, I do understand that the air temp sensor is no issue. It just helps give some perspective as to the amount of sun its in. Unfortunately, unlike your's, my temperature does not stabilize once the pump turns on.

I think I may just build an awning over the equipment. I think that will probably fix the issue.

Thanks everyone! I think I've got all the info I need!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.