DE Leaking into Pool

jonu

May 15, 2014
san diego,ca
We have replaced almost all to the de filter components - grids, top and bottom manifold etc. The stem pipe looks like it was glued in the past, on the elbow at the bottom of the pipe. Can I add more glue to this, if so what would be the best glue to use ?

Is there no way to remove the pipe and/or chip away at that glue? There's no reason it should have been glued (previous owner?). Also, the top manifold of the grid assembly has an air bleed tube that goes down to the standpipe (it's purpose is to bleed air out of the filter. There's a mesh in there for catching DE. If that mesh has a hole in it or is torn or missing, then DE can get into the air bleed assemble and down into the standpipe.

However, when you deep clean and/or rebuild a DE filter, it is not uncommon to have some small puff of DE cone out of the returns when you recharge it. It takes time for the DE the re-coat the grids (in my case, cartridges) and the fresh DE doesn't alway stick to the grid material right away. So when the pump shuts down, the DE will easily fall off the grid surface. It takes time for the DE to imbed itself in the new grids. However, the "puff" of DE you see from the returns should only last for 30-60 secs and then it should cease. This can happen for several days after a fresh startup. On a tear down clean and fresh recharge, I typically leave the filter running for 24-48 hours continuously afterwards to ensure that the DE evenly coats the grids. I have a variable speed pump so I'll often use the highest speed settings several times to increase the pressure and really drive in the DE.

Now, if all of the DE is blowing out of the filter and into the pool, then that's a different story and points to a leak or hole somewhere.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.