CYA low but FC ok

As long as you maintain proper FC/CYA ratio then the absolute CYA level only affects chlorine loss due to sunlight. Therefore, if your daily chlorine loss rate, as measured by how much chlorine you need to add to maintain the proper FC, is acceptable to you, then your CYA is fine where it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I will add that, if you are manually dosing chlorine, then you should be measuring your FC in the evenings and adding chlorine in the mornings. You want to make sure your FC is at the right level when your sun is getting the highest heat and sun exposure.

According to the OP's signature there is a SWG in use. First, the pool is fine with the FC/CYA ratio as it is, but you might not be maximizing the lifespan of the SWG cell. How much sun does the pool get?

For a normal SWG pool we recommend the CYA to be 70-80 and don't let the FC drop below 4 ppm. This ratio actually helps to maximize the cell life because less chlorine is burned off from the sun. With your current numbers the CYA level will lead to more chlorine being lost from the sun.

But I will add that, if you are manually dosing chlorine, then you should be measuring your FC in the evenings and adding chlorine in the mornings.

but you need the FC measure/test to know how much chlorine to add...why not just add it after testing?
That's what I usually do since a properly maintained pool will lose little to zero fc over night

but you need the FC measure/test to know how much chlorine to add...why not just add it after testing?
That's what I usually do since a properly maintained pool will lose little to zero fc over night

As you said, properly cleaned water will have no lose overnight, so if I manually dosed (which I'm glad I don't, I have an SWG), I would just do it in the AMs

It's a moot point anyway, the OP runs an SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.