Son Taking Care of Elderly Parents P340ool

boxboy

Sep 19, 2015
bedford tx.
Good Morning,

I appreciate any advise i can get. The pool store is just trying to sell me everything that can.
Here are the details:

25000 Gallon
Plaster Pool
Chlorine treated
Dallas / Ft. Worth Texas

FAC 1
TAC 2
CH 340
CYA 100
TA 100
PH 7.6
COPPER 0
TRON 0
TDS 1600
PHO 2500 PPB

The thing I have a problem with is that I am adding 3 - 4 lbs. of Power Powder Plus every day and the chlorine level is 0 every morning. I have use 50 lbs of chlorine powder in the past month.
Please help me get this under control for them. I will only be here another 2 weeks and then I go home. They can follow a reprimand but trouble shooting is a toss up.

I feel they are throwing money down a drain. LOL

Thank You For Your Help,

Hi, welcome to TFP! The best thing you can do for this pool is to get a FAS/DPD test kit such as a Taylor k2006 or the TF 100 (a better value in my opinion)
and teach your parents how to use it. If you keep running water samples to the pool store there is a good chance they will keep talking your parents into buying a bunch of stuff that will further mess up their pool and not solve the problem. When they are able to conduct and interpret their own tests then they can buy only what they need, and most of it will come from a grocery store.

First off the CYA is too high. The CYA test tops out at 100ppm, so the reality is that the CYA may be much higher. The CH is on the edge of being too high. Once it goes over 400ppm it can be difficult to prevent calcium scale without careful attention to the TA and pH levels. The Power Powder Plus is calcium hypochlorite and is raising the CH level every time you use it. The total chlorine score of 2 tells us you have a combined chlorine level of 1ppm, which indicates a need to slam the pool.

You will need to drain the pool to lower the CYA and CH levels. How much you need to drain will depend on how high the CYA really is. After you have your test kit you can dilute a sample of pool water by combining 1 part pool water with 1 part tap water. Mix the water well and use it for the test sample. Double the test result. If the result is over 200 you can further dilute the pool sample, but accuracy decreases with every dilution. At that point you know you will have to drain and refill at least 50% of the volume of the pool anyway, so might as well do that and then test CYA to see if any further draining is necessary.

Once the water is balanced it will be easy for your parents to keep it that way if they follow TFPC methods. How does the water look now?

The water if clear and blue. No algae in pool any longer. That is how it all started. When they uncovered the pool and the trees got attacked by worm the pool went green swamp like. All of the worm waste fell into the pool and set everything on this track. This is killing me and the money they have spent on this pool is rediculous when they only use it 2 a week for 2 months. I thank you for all of your help and I will now move toward getting and doing your recommendations. Any other advise is appreciated. I can't imagine draining 12,500 gallons out of the pool. Just more money. Lets hope the diluted test results come back and that isn't necessary.

Thanks

The only thing I will add is that in our experience more often than not pool store testing is useless and results will be all over the map, this is not to say that all pool store testing is bad, but it happens enough to most of us barely glance at pool store test numbers, it is not so much taking them with a grain of salt, but more like a mountain of salt.