New 12v pool light not working.

Sep 19, 2015
Millbury
Ok, so I just wired up my new 12v pool light and it's not lighting. The light is wired to a pentair pool light transformer. I am getting a good 122v in. When I put my meter on the low voltage output I get the following 2 readings. 13.5v from common to 12v hot wire. 7v from ground to 12v hot wire. I get that same readings regardless if the light is connected or not. My ground connections seems fine but I would expect similar readings from common to 12v hot as I would from ground to 12v hot? I have not tested the output at the light because the different readings I am getting at the transformer have me suspecting a transformer issue.

Any thoughts?

Transformers usually will have two output wires. You should get your output reading between those two wires. Unless it is specified, the output should be AC "Usually" the output wires are not identified as hot/neutral. Since there is no ground conductor tied to the output side of the transformer, I am surprised that you are getting a reading at all to ground from the transformer.

When you wrote this... I get the following 2 readings. 13.5v from common to 12v hot wire.are you measuring between the two output wires? or are you going from one output to the supply common/neutral?

Transformers usually will have two output wires. You should get your output reading between those two wires. Unless it is specified, the output should be AC "Usually" the output wires are not identified as hot/neutral. Since there is no ground conductor tied to the output side of the transformer, I am surprised that you are getting a reading at all to ground from the transformer.

When you wrote this... I get the following 2 readings. 13.5v from common to 12v hot wire.are you measuring between the two output wires? or are you going from one output to the supply common/neutral?

I think I am good to go. I guess I should have opened the light up to begin as the bulb was not screwed in all the way. For good measure I took a reading from the light fixture and got 13.2V. Thanks for the reply and BTW I was measuring from the output of the transformer hot/neutral when I got the 13.5 at the transformer.

Thanks again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.