Clean\Restore concrete around pool?

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but thought I would chime in....we pressure washed our deck, in prep for staining. Carried it down to the patio...one thing leads to another, hubby decides to PW the sidewalk....the following winter the sidewalk begins to deteriorate. It was almost like the sidewalk had developed a protective "patina" and when it was removed and not "sealed" somehow...the winter/salt caused it to flake. Looks terrible, but we can't afford new.

If you do pressure wash it, is it recommended that it gets sealed with something? (A little late to ask that question, I know....LOL) but I thought if it's a pool deck, various pool chems or a SWG pool? I don't know if any of that would make a difference.

I saw some beautiful stained concrete the other day while walking in the 'hood.

jjdurrant said:
wow.... deteriate from pressure washing?

Not exactly....it looked beautiful afterwards, almost like new. But after the winter came and hubby and put down supposedly safe "cement safe" salt, it started to flake and fall apart. We had used the same salt for the first 7 years we lived here, and then suddenly after the pressure washing, the same salt (or something unidentified) caused the sidewalk and driveway to flake. Coincidence, maybe....I just don't know. Anyway I just thought it was worth mentioning, that after pressurewashing maybe there is some sort of protectant or sealant or something?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.