Suggest a glue that will hold a pool light to pool wall underwater?

Marine epoxy. The only reason I went to the pool store, once I found TFP, was to buy some of this.

Alrighty.

Something like this:
epxy_mrn_s.png

Loctite 1405604 0.85-Ounce Plastic Syringe Epoxy Marine Gel $7

or this:
8272_MarineWeld-USA_large.jpg

J-B Weld 8272 MarineWeld Marine Epoxy - 2 oz - $7

Woo lots of responses..

Maybe yeah, a putty might be more practical I suppose.. Good thought

i wouldn't epoxy/glue your light to the wall. you need the ability to remove if it you need to change the bulb and/or remove it to get algae behind it. you could try and epoxy a ring/metal around the actual fixture and then tap/screw a new bolt into your wall to hold it in place

would this fix your problem: http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/QuickNicheRepairKitOM.pdf
Unfortunately I don't think it will as when the pool was resurfaced last with the previous owners they did a really bs job and didn't replaster like you normally would, instead opted to resurface with some kind of fiberglass shell and the way it covers the old niche is ridiculous. You will see in the picture below that the entire niche sort of 'recedes' now behind the surface of the pool wall. With no ring (or maybe just broken) with the screw hole tab and bottom clip.

I know what? We need pictures!!! Can't believe nobody has asked yet :)
I have put some pictures up here previously of this issue. I did receive a lot of good help and ideas but unfortunately no real easy solution. See them below.

You could try a light wedge. They are fairly inexpensive.
Got a couple. But that doesn't solve the problem at the bottom of the niche to hold the light. But I do plan on using them somehow to "assist" in my unconventional install.

Picture time.

This is how I found it when I bought the house (not long ago)
grTL6uM.jpg

Close-up of whatever this is pulled up on the deck
MaEyc2s.jpg

It is 8" in diameter and ANY light ring adapter I have found is for 10" Also see how it sits behind the pool wall (the niche)
k7tpHAp.jpg

No clip on bottom. Actually I am noticing now that there is a little sort of lip left from what used to be the clip before it broke off or whatever, sort of like how the tab for screw hole at top has some remnants of a previous tab remaining.
0Fma8z8.jpg

And a close up of the tab at top (what's left) and how the niche sits in recesses in the pool wall.
hC2wsqg.jpg

Again I'm not trying to double post, and I did get some good help before, just the paths I was sent down didn't pan out, not anyones fault, they were good ideas.

Well there seems to be no easy way to stick with the same size cover or stock parts, so I would personally find a cover that was larger than your opening/niche. It will take some ingenuity and thought. But this would then allow you to drill new holes in the wall to attach the new cover and trim ring that would cover the entire opening. It would probably be the cleanest looking and most practical way to solve this and still be able to access the bulb for replacement. Doubt you will be able to find a kit that would do this and make it simple (nothing ever is lol), you will probably need to make this up as you go from parts you can find from other light kits. But hopefully this helped you to have a new idea now maybe. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would buy a new light! See if there are any that will fit.

If no new light I would do as said above. Find something to make a plate to cut to fit the niche then a hole in the middle to put the light into.

It HAS to be removable! Water can/will get in there and grow algae.

Plexiglases? just a little larger than then niche so you can use a self taping screw to hold it on.............hole in the middle just a tiny bit small so you have to almost force the light into it to hold it.

Kim

I just found a fantastic prouduct called “The Light Doctor pool niche repair” which is a steel curved radius that comes in different sizes that screws into existing niche screw holes and has a hanging tab where the original tab corroded off. Also has a bottom piece if needed. Drawback is it’s pricey

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.