Pump won't prime

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Just replace the seal on my Challenger pump since it started leaking. Everything seemed to go just fine, but now that I have it back together it just won't prime. I have used a garden hose in the strainer basket and it fills quickly, but when I turn on the pump, it empties the basket quickly. I have tried to fill it and then put on the strainer lid and I have tried to prime it with the lid off and the garden hose running. Maybe its possible that I'm not waiting long enough?

I don't think I put the pump back together wrong and I put new silicon lube on the gaskets. It was working just fine prior to me changing the seal.

Ideas?

have tried to prime it with the lid off and the garden hose running.
Your pump cannot prime with the lid off.....ever.
It was working just fine prior to me changing the seal.
That might be a good clue. Go back and look at everything you could possibly have affected. Somewhere in there you are gonna' find a suction side air leak.

A couple weeks ago I had the same problem. I got so frustrated I actually walked away from everything for about 5 minutes. Came back and it primed right back up. Go figure. My pump is slightly above the pool, so I think my plumbing just needed a little time to let the water stabilize and fill the pipes. Once you've confirmed nothing silly (i.e. valve closed), you can also alternate between cycling the pump on & off briefly over few seconds with the basket lid secured. Allow time for water to travel from the skimmer/drain. In addition, some folks have no problem allowing the pump to try and prime for up to a minute or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.