new pool--first test results

Swim!

Since you are going to be using a SWG you'll want to use pool math to figure out how much CYA (stabilizer) to add to get up to 70. And you'll need to add salt for the SWG also.

Once the CYA is up near where it needs to be you can switch to the SWG. Actually you could use it now as long as there is salt already in the water.

nlindelldc, you might also want to be cautious of the FC level. While it is trying to cool-off a bit, we still have a few hot, sunny TX days ahead of us. An FC of about 2 will just open the door for algae. Last ting you want is do battle the green monster. :)

I would add a bit of CYA to get yourself in the 30-40 range before you SLAM. You'll lose a ton of FC to sun rather than nasties otherwise.

Don't raise it all the way up to 70 yet, since the tri-chlor pucks will add CYA during your start up month.

Yeah, it's kind of a weird deal. I was hoping to use the tri-chlor pucks to raise CYA but it is not working very fast. PB has been coming every day to shock the pool but I really don't see the point if the sunlight is burning it up, seems like a waste of time and money. But it has been enough to clear up most of the algae so far, I will say that.

I hope it's okay to swim in the meantime if the water doesn't look too bad?!?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your situation is kinda unique in my experience level. What is the PB putting in the pool? I hope it's only liquid chlorine. You need to find out from them and let us know so we can figure out how to correct for it.

Your situation is kinda unique in my experience level. What is the PB putting in the pool? I hope it's only liquid chlorine. You need to find out from them and let us know so we can figure out how to correct for it.
I had the same experience with my PB. They don't want you adding salt the first month with plaster, so for me at least, they installed a nature 2 to use with pucks for the first 30 days. I took the pucks out of mine and used bleach instead since they put way to much CYA in to begin with. I just noticed OP's pool is fiberglass, so I'm not sure if the same rule applies with salt or not :?:

If they are shocking his pool with di-chlor or cal-hypo I wouldn't think it's a big deal as long is it's not a long term thing. His CYA and CH are both low.

Sorry it took me so long to answer. The PB is adding 10% chlorine daily ( I checked the bottles). The first 2 days they added four jugs and the third and now fourth days they added 2 jugs each. He did tell me yesterday that he added MA also, and the tests I did were after all of that. Meanwhile, the pump is running on high speed 9 hours a day adding Tri-chlor.

I feel like I should be checking my FC levels daily and maybe even do an OCLT? thoughts?

If your FC is at 2.5 and CC is 0.5 while he's adding jugs of chlorine daily he's failing to get rid of the algae. He's keeping the problem from getting worse but he's not solving it. Also with a CYA of less than 20 the sun might eat the chlorine before it attack the algae. This seems like a great recipe to use a LOT of chlorine and still not fix the problem. Get the CYA up to minimum recommended levels by using stabilizer and SLAM that pool. What are you using for testing?

Just to re-cap a few of the notes above to help you:
- Adding CYA to "22" seems a bit tricky to achieve since the CYA test is tough enough in increments of 10. I would suggest a target of 30, at which case your FC target of 12 (sometimes 16) works very well for that anyways. Stay around the 12-14 FC range though. Much higher and you're just wasting bleach.
- It's important you rinse off that cartridge filter everyday. If you have green still in the water, perhaps twice a day
- No need to run your pump on "high" for 9 hours. Maybe about 30 min after adding bleach is all, then back to low speed. Maybe an hour on high mid-day just to help boost circulation and skim the surface for debris, but not 9 hours.
- Remember to sweep the entire pool surface each day to prevent any algae from trying to grab anywhere.
As you've probably seen here before ..."Maintain" that FC of 12-14 and you'll be on your way. Later, you might want to update your location to show what part of TX or city you are in since our state is so darn big, the weather can feel like opposite ends of the earth sometimes. :) Good luck!

Well I tested last night and again this morning. And, yes, I have been cleaning the filter like crazy. Seems like just after a few hours of pump running it gets so dirty it restricts flow, but that is also due to some sand as well.

So last night FC was 18. This morning was 17. Do I need to do another OCLT tonight to be safe?

PH is 7.8
After adding CYA yesterday, I tested this morning and I could swear it was 40! That test is really weird and hard to get used to though. Could have been 30
CC was 0 last night and this morning

What say you?

Also, does anybody wish they had a bigger pump? The streamers only look good when the pump is on high and even then, a slight clog in the filter restricts the flow so much I wish I had a third gear. Cleaning the filter daily is a pain in the bum

How does your water look? Is it clear? Of course we know that the OCLT of 1 ppm or less is required, and CC of <=.5 also. So if all 3 of those are good, technically you passed. Many folks will let the SLAM ride one more day and do a second OLCT just to be sure. That's certainly your choice, especially if you have ANY doubt about any of the 3 criteria.

Whooo Hooo. :whoot: It sounds like you are doing awesome, and certainly heading in the right direction.

Just one important reminder the pH level will Not be accurate with a FC level above 10ppm (it will register high), so during the SLAM when your chlorine levels are above 10ppm there's no need to test the pH, just save your reagents and wait to retest it once your chlorine level drops back down. Keep up the great job, and have a wonderful day.:)

What say you?
I would say that if you are cleaning the filter everyday and your PB is adding chemistry and you are adding chemistry that you do NOT have a good understanding of the SLAM process.

If you would like to get the pool crystal clear and get your chemistry under control, one of you needs to stop adding chemistry and that someone should be your PB.

Do you understand how to SLAM your pool? Is your PB still adding chemistry? Can you post a complete set of test results? Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? What does your water look like? Is there ANY sign of algae? You cannot SLAM using pucks and I suggest you take them out.

Sorry to be harsh but it looks to me like you are doing a lot of guessing and not taking a methodical approach to your pool water. Have you read the SLAM article in Pool School?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.