Weir Door Stop Repair

Boeks

Feb 28, 2013
Delaware
Hi everyone. Discovered a bit of an issue this morning when I checked my skimmer. The plastic piece at the top of my skimmer opening that holds the rubber stopper that prevents the weir door from floating back out toward the pool broke off. Pool is an in-ground gunite pool about 14 years old or so. Looks like the plastic just got old and snapped off. It's an American Products/Pentair skimmer unit. Does anyone have any suggestions on the most effective way to re-attach/repair this piece short of jackhammering out the entire skimmer? My guess is some type of epoxy should do the trick, but obviously, it has to take the constant pounding of the weir slapping into it on a daily basis. It's above the water line, so making a "dry" repair won't be an issue. I look forward to your suggestions and advise.

Thanks!

Just spit-balling here but here's my idea. Drill out a hole or use a self tapping screw to attach a rubber foot in the proper location on the top of the inner skimmer channel. A foot similar to these, but in a size that suits you. Once screwed in, coat the screw head with some silicone caulking if you don't go with a stainless or bronze screw. Might be difficult to get tools in the skimmer to do this though... In that case maybe try to epoxy the rubber foot directly to the top of the skimmer channel. Not sure if the epoxy or continuous pool water exposure would break down the rubber though. Or just epoxy a plastic piece that will do the job.
grid-2_b.jpg

I'll spitball another idea albeit a pricier one than JVTrain suggested.

Find your skimmer online hopefully with a blown-up diagram of all its parts and see if there is any kind of a replacement piece available. You might have to buy a new skimmer but perhaps cutting a new one down and marrying it with your old one might be of value...or not. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.