anybody have experience with EZ Pool chemicals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2009
I went to the pool store.. and they said that we should be using the "EZ Pool" chemicals. Now, we don't have any special "EZ Pool" equipment. They said that we could use the BBB method, but that it would be more complex.. and with EZ we don't have to test or do much of anything.. except add EZ every week.

Anybody have EZ Pool experience.. or could shed some light on this topic?

Their wallets will be a green as your pool. :shock:

As shown here, it's a combo product, but does not contain a sanitizer:

Proper water care dictates the use of a sanitizing agent. E-Z Poolâ„¢ is not registered as a sanitizer with the E.P.A. It is, however, uniquely formulated for compatibility and use with minimum amounts of traditional sanitizer.
The EPA registration number for this product is 70131-1. The company that registered this product is Pure Pools, Inc. (formerly CDE Research) with some info here and here where the dba name is API (shown here) which is a marketing company. This link shows that the product contains copper sulfate, which is primarily an algaecide. This explains why they warn against using chlorinating liquid as a source of chlorine because they warn of the pH rising (which could have the copper stain pool surfaces). The product used to be called Chlor-Free (before 1997). It also may contain a linear quat as an additional algaecide and/or partial clarifier. The pH and TA Balance is probably just sodium carbonate or sodium bicarbonate. The only interesting unique part of this product is the oxidizer they are using that presumably lasts for 7 days. Most non-chlorine shock breaks down in a day or so.

[EDIT]In addition to the copper sulfate pentahydrate we know about from above, the LD50's from the MSDS is consistent with the ingredients ammonium chloride (produces monochloramine when reacting with chlorine so a temporary algaecide), aluminum sulfate (an alum floc), potassium persulfate (an irritating form of non-chlorine shock) and probably sodium bicarbonate. [END-EDIT]

If you want to properly sanitize your pool, then you still need to add chlorine with this product and that means daily addition unless you use "sticks" or tabs which are Trichlor as they suggest in which case you still get a buildup of CYA over time. At least you won't get algae, since you've got copper in the water, though need to be careful about staining.

Richard

frustratedpoolmom said:
98xc600 said:
simpleton said:
They said that we could use the BBB method, but that it would be more complex.

I haven't found anything complex about BBB. I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone on this site that would tell you it's "complex" :-D

I can think of one.... :shock: :mrgreen: (inside joke)

NOT NICE :hammer:

BBB is the best...And it is simple...even if I am thick in the skull!!!

I have used E-Z pool for the last 2 seasons. I will say that it is VERY expensive and it goes fast,
but I enjoy the ease of use, the feel of the water ( no burning eyes or "hay hair" in the shower),
and the fact that you don't need to use Ph increaser or decreaser. Shock once in a while.

Never had green water or any other issue and no special equipment. I run it right through my sand filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have used BBB for 2 years, going on my third. I will say it is very cheap and I enjoy the ease of use, the feel of the water, (no burning eyes or hay hair), the fact that my blonde kids no longer have green hair, the fact that my dogs white hair is no longer green, and the fact that I have not had to spend any money at the pool store except on the occasional bottle of liquid chlorine when its on sale, and last fall when I bought a new winter cover.

I love the fact that I never have to shock my pool, I've not had to add anything except chlorine in over 2 years. So even though I adhere to BBB, for me so far it's just been B. :mrgreen:

Gotta love it. :mrgreen: :goodjob:

BBB stands for Bleach, Borax, and Baking soda. It is a system of pool care that uses simple procedures and inexpensive chemicals you can buy at the grocery store. There are a couple of articles about it around the site, one in Pool School and another you can find at the top of the topic list for the BBB section of the forum.

I've been an EZPool user for about 4 years. (18x36 inground). I agree it's more expensive, but it's the easiest one I'm aware of. Advice was only weekly maintenane, and it has worked very well. (I like weekly; not daily!). My weekly routine is
- add one tablet of Chlorine to skimmer basket
- add the 4-5 scoops of EZPool
- vaccuum, brush
Done!

I have water tested at beginning of season and once during summer. This year with more rain than usual I had to add both Calcium & Alkalinity Increaser.

Water is crystal clear, no odor at all, everyone loves it.

Problem is price - - - a 20 lb bucket is about $180 - and I usually need two of those to get thru the season.

If you can't (or don't want to ) do more-than-weekly adjustments, and the price is affordable, this is the answer.

Bob

Adding copper (or anything for that matter) to the water weekly without testing is a bad idea. You can overdose on the copper, resulting in stained pool surfaces and stained hair and fingernails. The result is water that may stay clear because the copper is an effective algaecide, but may actually be undersanitized and allowing pathogens to survive.

The idea that you don't have to test the water regularly or use normal levels of chlorine is unsafe for your swimmers and potentially expensive when you suffer pool damage from unregulated pH, calcium or alkalinity.

It would be far easier to use a Nature2 System to avoid having to add the EZ Pool, but it has the same problems. A Salt Water Chlorine Generator eliminates virtually all of the work involved with sanitation without the bad side effects of copper. Once it's in the water, there is no way to remove the copper other than draining the water.

bobroch said:
I've been an EZPool user for about 4 years. (18x36 inground). I agree it's more expensive, but it's the easiest one I'm aware of. Advice was only weekly maintenane, and it has worked very well. (I like weekly; not daily!). My weekly routine is
- add one tablet of Chlorine to skimmer basket
- add the 4-5 scoops of EZPool
- vaccuum, brush
Done!

I have water tested at beginning of season and once during summer. This year with more rain than usual I had to add both Calcium & Alkalinity Increaser.

Water is crystal clear, no odor at all, everyone loves it.

Problem is price - - - a 20 lb bucket is about $180 - and I usually need two of those to get thru the season.

If you can't (or don't want to ) do more-than-weekly adjustments, and the price is affordable, this is the answer.

Bob

Bob,
I spend 5 minutes everyother day testing and adding...twice a week I vaccume, and I don'spend anywhere near a hundred dollars let alone $360...I have a 24 foot round above ground, and like poolmom...All I ever add is chlorine...Nothing else, I don't think I work any harder than you do, and I spend three times less then you. So give it a try...Other than adding 32 -60 ounce of liquid chlroine everyother day, I don't do anything more.

ezPool is the best! i have had above ground pools for 40 years and up until 5 years ago i would spend over 1,500 a summer in pool chemicals for a 24 round pool. Now with ezpool all you need is shock and ezpool, i use one and a half bags of shock and the following day 3 scoops of ezpool. Are you ready for the good part ....NO and i Mean NO test strips, no ph increase, no ph decrease, no water testing , no water clarifier, no Algaecide control , no nothing......i have crystal clear water with very little effort all summer long, in fact i only run my filter 3 to 4 hours a day. I buy a case of shock $40.00 and $159.00 for the ezpool for june, july, august and part of sept. Buy a 5lb of ezpool and some shock and try it, shock on sunday night ezpool on monday night its that simple. Follow the instructions for the amount of water your pool holds ie. mine holds 15,000 gal so it's one and a half bags of shock and 3 scoops of ezpool.
Jim

wtruwarin said:
ezPool is the best!
:
I buy a case of shock $40.00 and $159.00 for the ezpool for june, july, august and part of sept.
Jim, your post sounds like an advertisement. Besides, I only spend $15 per month in chlorinating liquid and a small amount of acid for my 16,000 gallon pool. I only add chlorine and quickly test the pool twice a week. Others here without pool covers might spend $30 or so per month for the same size pool and add chlorine more frequently, but this is still far less than the $200 for 3-1/2 months you are quoting (so $57 per month). Besides, EZ Pool is discussed in this thread where you will note that it does not contain a sanitizer so you forgot to add that to your price. If you do not use a sanitizer, then the copper ions in EZ Pool will only prevent algae growth but will not do anything to fecal bacteria (see this post for more technical detail).

Also, please do not post the same thing in two threads (you posted the same info in the last post in the thread I linked to above).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.