Keep adding stabilizer but CYA doesn't go up

cynion

Jul 1, 2014
Riverview, FL
In the past few months i've probably added atleast 10lbs of stabilizer/conditioner but I always get a reading of around 50-60. I broke down and went to the local pool store and they got a reading of 35 and told me to try completely cleaning out my DE filter. I did that on the 5th and then added 3lbs of stabilizer in 2days... 10 days later I'm still getting a reading of 50-60. I tried the bucket test and i'm not losing any water. I've tried 2 different brands of stabilizer with no change, my only other thought was to try liquid instead of granular. Any thoughts?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

How did you add the stabilizer to the pool?

It would help us answer your question if we knew how your were testing (what test kit?) and more details about your pool. Add those to your forum signature and you'll get better advice.

Based on the amounts you have added, your CYA should be well over 100 ppm.

This year, we've seen more reports of people losing CYA at higher rates than is usual. Most of this was with the HTH brand. What brands have you tried to increase your CYA? What were the % cyanuric acid or 1,3,5-triazine-2,4,6-triol on the containers?

I'm stumped as to why it has not increased like it should have with proper additions. Are you confident in your CYA testing? I would certainly trust your K-2006 results over the pool store, especially for CYA. Posting full test results wouldn't hurt either.

Most of it was Leslie brand which is 100%, I also tried 2lbs of suncoast that I got at Lowes I think and some I bought off amazon that came in clear bags. I'm fairly confident in my testing but I get 50-60, pinch a penny got 35 and someone at leslie was getting like 80. Here are my full test results:

FC: 12 (I just shocked my pool over the weekend)
CYA: 55
TA: 70
PH: 7.6
CH: 270

I'm not sure how low pool math goes, but I'd get 5 gallons of tap water, leave it indoors, and add stabilizer to get you to 100. If you have some of the various brands of cya around, do it over again with the other stuff. Somebody here needs to start isolating the brands. You go through the reagent quick though.

Just an ideal, dilute your pool water 50/50 with tap water, test and multiply your result x 2. Maybe you will come up with some other number? Also since your CYA is at least 50 ppm (maybe?) you can use half as much pool water and half as much reagent and still have valid results to save your reagent. Don't do this if you dilute it though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think there has to be something else going on
But what would that be? If you put a dose of stabilizer in your pool then you KNOW it's in your pool. So now you wait 4-5 days to test it, right? And you are getting no increase in CYA???? And it happens to you more than once using different brands?

You apparently had a CYA of 50-60 and have added 10 additional lbs? What was your goal? Those dosages are way excessive for someone who should have been, at most, trying to increase CYA by 20 ppm (about 2 lbs)

Tell us a bit more as to how long you have been at 50-60 ppm and what your goal was when you added all that CYA?

Yes the goal is to increase it by about 20ppm so I've been adding about 2lbs at a time then waiting a week to test. I've been getting a reading of 50-60 for about 4-6weeks. I thought about going back to the pool store that got a reading of 35 to see what they get now.

I had an IC-20 and even at 100% my FC was tanking to 0... maybe from all the rain this year in FL. I bought an IC40 a month ago and the unit died after about a week while I was out of town which caused it to go to 0 again. The new unit would blow a fuse a soon as you plugged it in to the power center. Pentair replaced it since it was brand new and under warranty, they thought maybe it had a short.

Did you get new CYA reagent, and, if so, when?

I'm noting that you have the K-2006, which only comes with enough reagent for about 6 tests, and your story implies that you've run more than 6 CYA tests by now... That makes me wonder if you've had to get a refill, and whether you might have a bad batch. There was a recent thread where someone described getting bad CYA readings with newly purchased reagent.

I thought about going back to the pool store that got a reading of 35 to see what they get now.
OMG, please do not do that. There is nothing but confusion that will come from that. That said, I am pretty confused on how this could be happening anyway. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.