Pool decking question

Apr 14, 2014
Jamison PA
Hey all,

I've had some issues with my concrete pool deck- mainly 2 instances of de-lamination of the sealer over two winters, leaving some seriously unsightly marks on the concrete. My PB has agreed to either re-do the concrete or (somewhat) subsidize any new different type of decking. I'm trying to build a list of pros/cons and I wanted to get some feedback from the group as to their experiences with decking. Here's the concerns we have.

Currently we have stamped concrete. It's super slippery, and I have a 16 month-old who absolutely loves the water. He's slipped walking around the pool, and so have I. I don't like how slippery it is when it's wet.

Also our concrete deck is in sun all day during the swimming season. It gets SUPER hot, as in, we have to wear sandals in order to get into the pool.

The PBs concrete guy didn't do a knockout job on the edge either. It looks crappy in spots.

So....

For those of you with pools in super sunny areas, what surface do you have? Or those of you who are experienced builders, what would you recommend to a client who wanted a deck that wasn't slippery and is cooler? (My pool deck is gray in color, I've attached a picture).

PANO_20140623_102041.jpg

I have a concrete deck with a textured acrylic coating. After ten years it was starting to look just a bit faded so I put a new top color coat on this year. Now it looks as good or better than the day it was installed. It has held up very well and isn't slippery. But, it is important to keep it sealed so that water can't penetrate, get under and cause de lamination. I should note that I'm in a very hot dry climate. I have no idea what it would do in a climate with severe winters and serious freeze/thaw cycles.

As far as slippery, you can add a non slip additive like. "shark bite" to most sealers.

Thanks both of you! I've heard about shark bite. My PB said something about adding play sand but then dismissed it himself saying that "it works itself out of the sealer anyway". I don't know if I fully trust the guy so I appreciate your opinions.

Any paint store should know about non slip additives and should be able to suggest something. There are some that can only be used in opaque paints and others for clear sealers.

We have rock salt finished concrete colored with a color hardener, sand color. It is not slippery at all, zero maintenance and a lot cooler than our flagstone coping and paths. Three years later we still love it. Pics in build thread, link in sig.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.