Black Algae for MONTHS!

megka2

Sep 15, 2015
Magnolia, TX
Help me....LOL. I am a frequent flyer at Leslies Pool to buy Algae cleaner. I have had this infestation of black algae since May. A combination of problems got us there, our salt cell died and it took the builder 3 weeks to get the problem fixed, it was so hot this summer and the pool is in direct sunlight, we had A LOT of rain for our area, and Leslies was out of salt for weeks at the beginning of the summer. All of that said though....I have been trying to get rid of it this entire time and I cannot get it gone. I have cleaned the filters twice since May, they weren't even that dirty last time. My PH is 7.6-7.8, my CYA level is 80, my salt level and chlorine level are normal(I can't remember the exact numbers). Everyone is stumped. I have used black algae cleaner, and copper algecide multiple times. I shock, wait 6 hours, then put in the algecide, and repeat the process the next day. While most of the spots fade, they don't go away and they just come right back.

I have a 36,000 gal Pebbletec pool.

Hello and welcome to TFP! I can't say I'm surprised everyone is stumped. That happens a lot at the pool store. :) First priority MUST be to order your own proper test kit. See the TF-100 link below in my sig and order either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006. I have the TF-100 and it's a great value. Your pool has algae simply because it does not have the proper sanitation level of FC in relation to CYA. I would suggest you do the following:
1 - Order the proper test kit as noted above ASAP
2 - Do not add anything else to your water other than one gallon of regular liquid bleach. HEB or Wal-Mart generic is fine @ 2.98 per gallon.
3 - Start reading the SLAM link below in my sig. You will need to perform a "SLAM" once your test kit arrives.
It's as simple as that. Honestly, the pool store has done that to many of us, and now it's time for you to take charge of your pool. We'll help you. Once you get your kit, please post for us: FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH. Have a great evening.

- - - Updated - - -

I can't emphasize enough to NOT put any more algaecide products in the water. Many of them contain copper which is a metal that can stain your pool and/or change hair to green if the chemical levels allow it to do so. :( Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

I have the same problem. But I was too lazy to haul bleach and brush. I did the Leslie's algae killer @49.99 and it did a half assed job for two weeks. Then the black was back and doubled in size. I shocked with my last years shock and another $49.99 slate killer. Got less of a result the second time. Went back to Leslie's the clerk said "oh your chlorine level is too high for the algae killer to work". That's about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I went straight to HEB bought 10 -1.5 gallons of bleach and started slamming. It's been 10 days the black is 90% and i have brushed 4 times.

I am sticking to the TFP people's wisdom not some kid that just got out of high school.

I have the same problem. But I was too lazy to haul bleach and brush. I did the Leslie's algae killer @49.99 and it did a half assed job for two weeks. Then the black was back and doubled in size. I shocked with my last years shock and another $49.99 slate killer. Got less of a result the second time. Went back to Leslie's the clerk said "oh your chlorine level is too high for the algae killer to work". That's about the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I went straight to HEB bought 10 -1.5 gallons of bleach and started slamming. It's been 10 days the black is 90% and i have brushed 4 times.

I am sticking to the TFP people's wisdom not some kid that just got out of high school.

Words of a very wise man! Even with good monitoring algae can still form, but if your monitoring it can be killed before its an issue fast

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.