Help with the proper sequence for Blowing out lines. Please

DSK

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 29, 2014
Havre De Grace, Maryland
Hello, I wanted to try closing this year. I have read the great advice on this site and watched a few you tube videos but Im still a little confused about the best way to blow out my lines. So here is what I think i will do and was hoping some one could correct me if I seem off.

1. Lower water below skimmer baskets but I don't think i will be able to get below returns because of pool cover requirements.
2. Set pool valve to REC and remove Sand filter drain plug.
3 connect air compressor to drain of pool pump and start. Now the questions start.

* Should or could I close off the main drain to promote pressure through the other lines and reopen it up after they are closed off?
* Once I think a skimmer basket or return line can be capped in the pool do I then walk back and turnoff that valve on the pump side?
* Once Im down to just the main drain left blowing air I guess i can get air trapped in pipes by closing it off as air running?
* Once all lines are capped and closed off, i open up the skimmer plugs to poor in the Antifreeze while the Pump side skimmer valves are still turn off.
* Should I add winterizing chemicals before or after I lower pools levels?
* if for some reason I cant get enough air to blow out all lines enough I guess i could let it sit and not add antifreeze while I find something with more power, right I just wont put in anit-freeze yet?

My system:
2 skimmers each with shutoff valves
2 returns with Shutoff valves
1 polaris booster pump with shut off valves
2 main drain opening bottom of pool with 1 shut off valve for both

Thanks for reading this and help for a novice.

It is recommended that you read other posts in Swimming Pool Start up and Closing. There are many ways to close pools, either from the equipment pad or from the skimmers. There are also many configurations at equipment pads as well. All lines besides the main drain can be closed off with plugs. Skimmers always use Gizmo's that expand and the main drain has to be closed creating an "air lock".

Please remember to remove all the fittings from the filter, housing, and anywhere else there is water. Place the multi-port level on Winter as well.

Here is some further reading from the forum:

Closing your pool? ... READ ME

Closing an in ground pool

OK well thanks for the response, I had included a key phrase in the the first part of my post that I thought would have made it clear that I was looking and hoping for a more specific info. That might even be helpful to others.

"I have read the great advice on this site and watched a few you tube videos but Im still a little confused about the best way to blow out my lines."

If anyone would be willing to provide answers to those questions it would be helpful.
Please and Thank you

Can you please post some pictures. This may help. Do you have unions at the pump? Maybe where you can push air through.

I am using a Cyclone, while others have used pancake compressors, shop vacuums, etc. The biggest issue is having enough volume (not pressure) to blow out the main drain. The concept is all the same. Pressurize the system to push air through all the returns and as each one bubbles and water is being removed as air is being pushed through, a secondary person will close off the returns, one at a time.

When you lower the water below the skimmer, the water will be pushed out and cleared. Then you can install the Gizmo's. The main drain should bubble for about 45 seconds to 1 minute & then you can close the valve (creating the air lock). The main drain will bubble last after skimmers.

You have to figure out where exactly you want to push air through the system. Most people push air from the equipment pad. I have created a modified cover, but that was more involved. Again, please read some of my posts and you will find some helpful information.

I would recommend that you close off the suction side first (Skimmer and Main Drain) and work on returns first, either through filter or recirculate (does not matter). You will eventually remove all fittings to drain water. Then work on skimmers and main drain. The main drain will be closed last as more pressure will be needed. Once you are done with the return lines, place multi-port on closed. Eventually when done, move multi-port to winterize.

Regarding Pool Anti-Freeze, that is up to you. I will not be using it. If at east 50% of the water is removed, there should never be any problems with freezing lines or water. Water expands 9% before causing any damage. A lot of forum members in warmer climates never close pools.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.