Hi There from Australia

Sep 15, 2015
Australia
Hi,

Just joined the forum, we are digging our first pool in two days time! A concrete 30 lineal metre pool, roughly in an '8' shape, although one end will bulb out more than the other (prob be around 6m wide at that point).

We still haven't decided whether to go deep in the middle, or at the large end of the pool (have 3 kids under 5) - happy for any suggestions here.

It will have 3 separate seating areas, with white pebble and blue glass below the waterline. 2 lights in the pool and we are looking at going a Magna based system.

I'm leaning towards a dolphin automatic cleaner over a manual cleaning system.

We are located in the dry tropics of Australia, so will be using the pool most of the year round.

Looking at putting an exposed aggregate concrete path around one side of the pool, then tropical size gardens around the rest - any ideas for this and garden lighting would be appreciated. Also looking to install an outdoor shower beside the pool - mainly for if i have been working in the yard and if i am filthy, can rinse off before jumping in.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob, and welcome to TFP. Congrats on the decision to build a pool. My only suggestion, make sure you order a TF-100 test kit (link below) well in advance before you fill it with water so you can test it properly. The right test kit makes ALL the difference in an enjoyable swimming season. Good luck, and welcome!

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with the pool build.

Not sure if the TF-100 ships to Australia. The cost of international shipping aside, I seem to remember there being potential customs issues. Some members used myus.com to get a TF-100 shipped to Australia, but I have no first-hand experience with this. Still, it's worth checking it out. They seem to have been around for at least a few years, so that's a good sign.

Another resource is this: http://www.rainbowpoolproducts.com.au/catalogue/Test_Kits_and_Reagents.htm. This is an Australia-based site and it list several options including Taylor which is the chemistry that the TF-100 is based on. May need to select "Test Kits and Reagents" from the menu along the left side of the page in order to get Taylor to appear - for some reason, there is not a link to the Taylor kits in the body of this page.

Don't know about Australia but in the USA lights around the pool need to be at least 10 feet(just over 3 meters) from the pools edge. I think deep end at the large end of pool is a logical choice unless you just don't want it there. The Dolphin cleaners are some of the best right now. Good luck on your build.