Flakes in Chlorinator

For the first time ever I have flakes of what smells like chlorine in my chlorinator. Does this indicate bad chlorine tabs? Same ones I've used for several months without incident. How should I clean it out and how prevent a recurrence?

- - - Updated - - -

Just this week I had a capacitor replaced so there was no circulation for about 3 days. Might this account for it?

What type of pucks are you using in the chlorinator? In the past I've read that if folks put the wrong type of puck in those things they can get gummy? I'm not sure how you'd go about scraping out any residual puck gunk, I'm sorry.

We don't generally recommend using pucks as a routine source of chlorine because they also add undesired ingredients that can cause you a lot of grief down the road if not monitored closelyWe suggest the use of either liquid chlorine or a salt water generator to provide the chlorine daily. Adds nothing undesirable (such as excess stabilizer or calcium).

Also, any time your pool circulation is off, just use liquid chlorine (aka "bleach") as your chlorine and brush it well daily. That will help ward off algae hopefully.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.