New Owner, Please hellp, water cloudy

Sep 14, 2015
Plano/TX
Hi
I am a new owner, bought the house with pool last Nov, knew nothing about pools and depend on the pool store for testing and advice, so far this didn't help much, pool went green on us twice. last week I found your site and started reading and educating our self, my wife was trying to fix the pool after last time when it went green, what ever she put in the pool got rid of the green color but left us with with thick material that we kept running the filter to clear, I kept cleaning the filter to help the process. now that white substance is gone but the water still cloudy and it could be turning green again. that is where I started visiting this site.

Here is what we are doing right now and please correct us or tell us if we are on the right track.

current measurement
PH 7.2
FC 7.8
TC 0.0
CYA 80

We are using Taylor test kit, I will be buying the TF-100 since it's recommended here, the PH for the past few days been high, we added muriatic acid to lower it, was like 8.0 and we think we drooped it to 7.2, we been adding 2 bottles of 8.25% bleach every night or early in the morning, we add the bleach 4 hours after adding the muriatic acid "I think we read it some where that we need to wait, is this true?"

Anyways the water after 2 days still cloudy, the green color is less for sure, it was not that green to start with, like was starting to turn green when we started this process, 2 days ago when we started the chlorine levels were 0.

are we on the right track? should we be doing something different?

Thank you for your help

Welcome to TFP! You have a few variables with your water now: green before and an unknown substance added which created a thick material and more green. Any chance you can tell us exactly what product was put in the water? That will help. For now ... stick only to liquid bleach. You'll want to follow the SLAM procedures via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Which Taylor kit do your have? If it's the K-2006(c), then you're good. If not, then yes, you need the TF-100 or the FAS-DPD portion to check FC at higher levels for the SLAM. That needs to be your #1 priority though.
Also for the SLAM, your pH is perfect where it is at 7.2. Now you need to increase your FC to 31 based on the CYA of 80 (they go together per the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart) Don't bother testing the pH anymore when you raise the FC until the SLAM is over. Make sure to read and follow that SLAM page very carefully. It will work, but don't skip anything.

Let us now if you have any more questions. Good luck!

Thank you for the response, I have k-2006 testkit but I don't think I know how to test for chlorine levels above 10, I ordered the TF-100 kit w/speed Stir and the Extra package, yesterday I added at sunset 4 jugs of Bleach (3.75ml) 8.25%, the water does not look that green, there is a green cloud that I can see when I am swiping the floor of the pool, I think that is why the water looking less inviting. I am planning to keep adding 4 jugs every night until the TF-100 kit arrives and I can take some measurement.

Is there anything else I can do in the mean while? Can I use the k-2006 to read Chlorine levels above 10?

Well the Taylor test kit I have does not include the white powder, the TF-100 kit I ordered won't arrive until Sep 21.
This morning the water looked much better, I can see the ground, it's still cloudy but the green color is gone, I took a Chlorine reading and it was 7.5 so I added another jug of Bleach (3.75) 8.25%. Hopefully I am on the right track, going to read the SLAM article again for a refresher.

any advice or things I should be looking for/doing please let me know.

Not really. Until you get the FAS-DPD portion, you're sort of guessing on the FC, but adding a little bleach each day is fine. Just don't go totally nuts. :) Too much is not always better. You can continue to leave the pump on 24/7, scrub the pool thoroughly, and all that other stuff until your kit arrives. Hopefully this will all help make your SLAM go that much faster.

Well the Taylor test kit I have does not include the white powder, the TF-100 kit I ordered won't arrive until Sep 21.
This morning the water looked much better, I can see the ground, it's still cloudy but the green color is gone, I took a Chlorine reading and it was 7.5 so I added another jug of Bleach (3.75) 8.25%. Hopefully I am on the right track, going to read the SLAM article again for a refresher.

any advice or things I should be looking for/doing please let me know.
Welcome to the forum.

Your Taylor K2006 FAS/DPD test should have the R-0870 powder and R-0871 liquid Titrating Reagent. This testing method will read FC up to 50ppm.

If not, perhaps it is the K2005?

Are you counting drops until the water turns clear, or are you comparing shades of pink/red?

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.