Pump relplacemement? Or just motor?

May 10, 2013
Hello,

My pool pump is getting incredibly loud. It is 14 years old and keeps me up when it runs at night. It seems to work fine, as far as I can tell, but I can't handle the noise! Wondering if I could just replace the motor or if I should replace the whole thing? I do believe it leaks a bit as well. I've included a picture of the pump label. This pump only runs the filters. I have a booster pump for the polaris, a separate pump for the spa, and a separate pump for the waterfall. I also have the Jandy Aqualink RS6 which all of the equipment is programmed to. I would love it if I could conserve some energy costs as well with a new motor or pump.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5925.jpg
    IMG_5925.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 62
As you dont have your location listed i cant look up if there are any rebates available via your local power company.
Often there are rebates on Eco type pumps such as 2 speed & Variable speed pumps.
You should look into it, it may make replacing the entire pump more attractive?

Through research, I decided I needed to replace the shaft seal. I took the entire pump apart. When I did that, there was a white crusty substance inside most of the unit. I'm wondering if this means the water leak has affected the motor and bearings? When I separated the motor, and test ran it by itself, it sounded normal. I'm trying to determine if the bearings have been affected and need replaced? I cleaned the impeller, didn't find much significant in there. When I put the pump all back together, and started it up...... same extremely loud noise. Again, worth noting, this pump is 14 years old, with absolutely no maintenance done to it up to this point. Help please!? :-?

If you want to isolate the source of the noise you can use the old stick method to isolate it. Find a stick or piece of wood about 3 feet long. Place one end on the motor and the other near your ear. You should hear a distinct sound coming through the stick. Do the same thing on the pump. Try different places. You should be able to identify where the sound is coming from.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.