Stenner tube replacement

Sep 16, 2014
North DFW
My Stenner pump stopped pumping chlorine into my pool, and I discovered a small crack in the tube. I went to replace the tube with the spare that came with the pump only to find out that it was about 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter that the cracked tube. I couldn't expand the roller assembly to make the tube have tight contact with the outer housing. I ordered 2 new tubes, hopefully I won't have any issues with them. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?

Thanks

I don't have a Stenner yet but have a fair amount of experience with tubing as a home brewer. I have found that hot water works wonders for tubes that seem too small, try soaking the tube in water about the temp of a hot cup of coffee install it and run the pump while it's still warm, you could even try pumping warm water. If it can be stretched to fit as Cajun suggested that will make the process a bit easier.

i replaced mine today because it stopped working as well. Are you sure you can't stretch it to fit? did you try turning the pump on when installing the tube?

Absolutely, I tried stretching that thing. I even let the pump run for 10 minutes to help stretch it, but no luck.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have a Stenner yet but have a fair amount of experience with tubing as a home brewer. I have found that hot water works wonders for tubes that seem too small, try soaking the tube in water about the temp of a hot cup of coffee install it and run the pump while it's still warm, you could even try pumping warm water. If it can be stretched to fit as Cajun suggested that will make the process a bit easier.

Thanks, that is not a bad idea. I will give that a try tomorrow. That pump made me lazy... back to manual dosing for now..

I got the replacement tubes today only to discover they were the same length. After getting frustrated trying expand the roller assembly using tips mentioned above, I noticed a little extra plastic piece in the packaging. After close inspection of the instructions, it turned out to be a fan brake! Bingo. That was it. I could never expand the assembly far enough to lock because the motor was turning. Once I figured out the fan brake, it was easy to expand the assembly. What a pain. Once I got it all back together and turned on the pump, I noticed there was air in the lines. It turns out that the duckbill check valve was also bad. Could that have caused the tube to crack/burst in the first place?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.