LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Charter Oak, California
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My 12 x 24 x 52 intex pool that we installed in July comes with one return port and two pump intake ports. I believe there is legislation that makes two pump intake ports mandatory. I installed an inexpensive Intex skimmer that clamps onto the top rail to one of the pump returns. For the skimmer to work efficiently, I had to use a plug of sorts in the other intake, per the directions that came with the skimmer. The plug comes with the new skimmer. The skimmer works swimmingly. My question is, if I decide to hard plumb the pool over the winter, do I have to plumb the second pump intake, which is currently blocked? Or can I just cap it off and run one pump return and one pump intake.

Any thoughts??

The general rule of thumb is to not squeeze the inlet side of a pump, furnace, or boiler, they just work better that way.
What would I do, look around on Craig's list or Kijiji in Canada for another floating skimmer and implement that into the system.
Also keep an eye out for a slightly larger sand filter, and a 1 hp pump on sale.
Intex is notorious for undersized pumps, inlets and outlets to thier pools and equipment, I still use the pools just not the equipment that comes with them.
Do you have Intex "valves" on the inlets and outlet?

Yup. Still have Intex plunger valves. One for the one return line and one for two pump intake lines. The two pump intake lines meet together at the Intex plunger valve. Then out of the valve one single line to the pump. Like a "Y"'. The plug they sent with the skimmer has a small hole in it to allow some flow, however slight. If I hard plumb, I will swap out the two Intex Plunger valves for standard ball valves. So you would recommend keeping the two pump intake lines? In the fashion of a "Y" like it is now?

And though the pump and filter combination appears to be doing a good job, running 6 hours a day, I will probably upgrade to a 1hp Pump and larger sand filter, as I may add some solar heating in the future.

Thanks for taking the time.....

If hard plumbing, might as well do the hayward skimmer mod too. This will increase your flow rate. You could then dedicate one of your intakes to a vacuum port. This would obviously require the use of shutoff valves etc. I have the same pump and filter as you and the hayward works so much better than the stock over the rail skimmer.
Good luck,
Greg

So basically you have the same ID going through the pool wall as a single skimmer, as the OP says Hayward thru the wall skimmer should work the best. In your case with an oval Intex pool the skimmer will be at a bit of an angle but can be kept full by raising water level from what I have read. Hayward widemouth is on my agenda for next year actually.

So, if I'm going to hard plumb I should plumb both pump intakes and include shut-off valves for both of them.....obviously, I wil hard plumb the return and incorporate a shut-off valve there too. Just curious if I needed both pump intakes..

The Hayward was my choice as well. I will look into the wide mouth as well.....

image.jpgLfrankow:
On the left of the pump/filter is the single pump return.....to the right of the pump/filter you can see two pump intakes from the pool going to a single plunge valve then a single hose to the pump, like a "Y" (two into one.). I believe the law requires two returns to reduce the pump intake suction by half at each intake port. So, I should hard plumb both intakes and include ball valves rather than hard plumbing only one of the pump intakes and capping the other?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Kind of confused atm you have two holes in your pool for the suction side?
Mine is like this....View attachment 42769

LFrankow: I noticed you plumbed your pool using the Intex plunger valves. Have you had any issues with them. Most of the threads steer clear of those and use standard PVC ball valves. Have the worked ok for you?

The reason I used them was they came with the pool and I had 1 1/2 abs trap adapters to get me to the hard piping.
The Fernco, trap adapter and valve will go into a warm space soon, will I use them next year, probably as they are almost like a ball valve easy to operate when cleaning pump screens.
I think the threads coming off of the pool adapter are straight not tapered so I didn't/was too cheap, to find an adapter for that since I already had one that worked.
After 6 or 7 years I am still almost completely repiping my system every year, replacing pools every second year ( always going up in size ). I try to follow the KISS method when piping, learned after being a plumber for almost 33 years now. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid ;)

I cut out both of my tiny intex pool outlets and installed standard 1.5 inch outlets. Hard plumbed them both. One goes to a 1.5 HP pump and filter, the other goes to the intex pump for a water feature. I did a Hayward through the wall skimmer as well.

Do you have any images of your set up? I would be interested to see....

Your photos show that the newer Intex Pools have 1-return (Far Left) and 2-pump intakes (to the right of the skimmer)...Thanks for taking the time to post them. Good Ideas, clean setup, Crystal Clear water.. Nice work.:lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.