Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New guy=Green pool

1. Back To Top    #1

New guy=Green pool

Hi, I am new to the pool thing. That being said I found this forum and learned enough to go ahead and order the TF-100 test kit. This is a SWG.

Now to the problem, IT'S GREEN!!

I used the test kit and came up with these numbers,
    FC-10
    CC-0
    TC-1-2
    pH-7.2
    T/A-30
    CH-2
    CYA-55-60
    I have been trying to read up on what to do, but I wanted to get some better advice. The pool stores are a joke!
    Thanks for any help.
    18x36 inground, SWG, 25000 gals.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New guy=Green pool

Welcome to TFP!

Read the article at turning-your-green-swamp-back-into-a-sparking-oasis-t4147.html then look through Pool School pool-school/ That should get you started.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Start with the Pool School part of the forum - that and the pool calculator will get you going.

I'm curious, however, if you think that your pool is green from an algae bloom? If so, then there's something wrong with your numbers (FC 10 ppm but CC 0 ppm). The experts will be along shortly, I suspect.
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

4. Back To Top    #4

It is quite possible for FC to be 10 and CC to be 0. You often don't see any CC when fighting algae. Of course, it is also common to see at least some CC, but hardly always.

Assuming you have algae (murky or cloudy green), then JohnT has sent you to the right places. On the off chance that you have a clear transparent emerald green then it is probably something else entirely and you should speak up so we can give you different advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

And that's why I visit this site frequently - to learn new things from Jason and the other experts!
    15X30 AGP, Lomart beaded liner;
    1.5 HP Sta-Rite pump with 21 inch sand filter (Zeobrite media)
    Mineral Springs (Aquatrol) SWCG, Rigid PVC plumbing, 2 inch
    Four 4X12 Techno-Solis solar panels, rack mounted, Goldline Solar Controller

6. Back To Top    #6

It's algae I'm pretty sure. I am working with the pool cal. Thanks for the help.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by usertaken
    FC-10
    CC-0
    TC-1-2
    pH-7.2
    T/A-30
    CH-2
    CYA-55-60
    I can't help but wonder if the FC=10 and CC=0 numbers are correct when I see that the TC=1-2. The CH=2 also seems unusual. I'm not the one to comment, but just wondered if some of the experts might be concerned about these numbers.
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    Quote Originally Posted by usertaken
    FC-10
    CC-0
    TC-1-2
    pH-7.2
    T/A-30
    CH-2
    CYA-55-60
    I can't help but wonder if the FC=10 and CC=0 numbers are correct when I see that the TC=1-2. The CH=2 also seems unusual. I'm not the one to comment, but just wondered if some of the experts might be concerned about these numbers.
    Good catch. Can the OP please clarify?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, the TA of 30 is a bit suspect to me. It's possible but if it's true it indicats water balance problems that have probably existed for a while.
    Is the green a clear green or a cloudy green?
    Have you tested the water for copper and iron?
    Have you added any metal sequesterant?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by gtm
    I can't help but wonder if the FC=10 and CC=0 numbers are correct when I see that the TC=1-2. The CH=2 also seems unusual.
    Yes, there are obviously some testing errors of some kind going on. I assume the TC reading is from the OTO test. It is fairly easy for a novice to mis-read the OTO color for a TC of 10 as a lower number, so I don't consider that significant. Likewise, CH can't be 2. CH is either 20 or something else entirely. But that is something to figure out after the water is clear and the algae is gone. The TA level is a little more troubling. If correct, that will require attention sooner than the other two.

I already asked if the water was a clear transparent green and usertaken replied that it was algae.

Right now the focus should be on getting rid of the algae, without allowing the minutia of water testing details to distract our attention or create unnecessary confusion. usertaken just got the TF100. Along the path of fighting the algae there will be further water test results and many of these details should sort themselves out along the way as usertaken gets more experience with the test kit.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Apologies for any distractions or confusion caused. I'd claim good intentions, but we all know which road that paves. Sorry again ... Gary
    15,000 gal. IG fiberglass pool w/ 1 hp Hayward Max-Flo and 250 lb. Hayward sand filter
    Located in St. Petersburg, Florida, and enclosed in a birdcage

12. Back To Top    #12

Sorry I haven't replied lately, I've been busy, but the water is a cloudy/grayish color now. I put a lot of bleach in it and it is clearing up the algae. As for the numbers I am new to all of this so it may not be right. If I can get the algae cleared up then I will work on the rest of it. The pool was filled mostly with well water so it is possible that it has some minerals in it. What I don't know is will the minerals ever disappear. I will try to post some new numbers tommorrow. Thanks

13. Back To Top    #13

Metals in the water won't "dissappear" - you can have your water tested for them at a pool store. If they are a problem you might need to use a sequesterant. But for now just keep testing your chlorine levels and shocking until the water clears....which could take several days. Continue with the original advice by JohnT and keep that filter running and brush, brush, brush!
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

14. Back To Top    #14

Ok, first off thanks for the help and this forum. Second, the water is still a little cloudy(not from algae)but I think it needs some adjusting. I tested FC yesterday and it was still 13 so I turned down the SWG, but I still come up with 0 CC. The pH is still 6.8, I haven't tried to adjust that yet.
    Now I am doing the test per the instructions. Am I doing something wrong? I have never done this before so I only know what the instructions say.

I'll try to get some pics loaded tomorrow. ( if the dw will )

15. Back To Top    #15

Hi. We have a list of criteria so that you "know" when you are done shocking:

You lose less than 1ppm overnight;
    Your water is clear;
    Your cc is .5 or less.

Your water is still cloudy. Have you performed an overnight test of the FC to see if it's holding? If it's holding it's okay to stop shocking. IF it's not, you need to keep at it. When you are doing the overnight test you need to have the SWG off to see if the FC is truly holding on it's own, not being helped along.

Do you have a sand filter? (You should include your equipment info in your signature)

Sand filters can take awhile to clear up cloudy water from dead algae. You could try adding DE to the sand for filtration assistance....read about it here

Hope this helps

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Hi. We have a list of criteria so that you "know" when you are done shocking:

You lose less than 1ppm overnight;
    Your water is clear;
    Your cc is .5 or less.
    FPM,

Thank you for posting that. I have always liked the simplicity of that set of criteria (criterium....I can't remember). Kudos to chemgeek for defining it last year. I hope we see it a lot this season, too.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

criteria, criterium

Potato, Patato...