SWG for small 8,000 Gallon Pool in FLA

Thanks.

I found this from Walmart - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Intex-Hose-Conversion-Adapter-B-Kit-Pair-Replacement-Part-Model-Number-25009/46519296

Is that the piece needed to fit on my Pentair pump ?

That adapter will fit the 1 1/2" hose that connects directly to the Intex SWG, but I can't tell you if it will mate up to your Pentair pump, because I don't have one and don't know what size fittings they use. I doubt it, because the other side of that one is intended to fit the smaller Intex pool 1 1/4" hoses.

But you get the idea. I made my own adapter to hook up my Intex to my Hayward skimmer and eyeball with a few pieces of PVC from the hardware store. It's not hard. Just take a hose that connects to each side, Intex and Pentair, and ask the plumbing guy to help you find the necessary pieces, then glue them together. Shouldn't cost more than $20, including the glue.

Here's what an adapter would look like, except with a straigh thru piece in the middle instead of a tee like mine. I made this to hook up a fountain.

temporary_zpscnsrizjq.jpg

I run my pump and SWG both from an external outdoor timer. I have the pump set to run infinitely, bypassing its built-in timer, and the SWG set to run 2 hours each time it comes on. So each time the pump comes on, the SWG runs for 2 hours and then goes to sleep while the pump continues to run. I have it set to come on twice per day for several hours (I also like the water circulating while in in the pool), and then one additional hour overnight just to keep my FC up. So 5 hours total per day making chlorine.

I've never brushed my pool walls, either with or without a SWG. I've never had the need to. But as Dave said, a saltwater pool is still a chlorine pool, so the maintenance is no different.

JJ,
Ok, well if you had a 25K cell, I would imagin 10 or 15% output might do you well since you have an enclosure and some shade. But as mentioned, there isnt a set rule.
The only rule is, if you pool needs FC, then bump up the output or increase the run time. But I dont see you having a large chlorine demand unless the whole neighborhood comes over.

how many hours a day do you run your pump now? Do you run it all at once continuous or break up the run times throughout the day or night?
The SWG is generally wired on the pump circuit, so if the pump is running, the SWG is 'on'. But thats not always the case, there is another option. It depends on what works well for you.

Some people like me want the pump running not because the water needs filtered, but because I like to see water moving if Im at the pool. WIth my SWG wired into the pump circiuit as it was, I was over chlorinating. So to remedy that, I installed a Timer specifically to turn on the SWG on a schedule several times a day. If you can create a schedule, then you can dose....dose.....dose....dose... a little chlorine at a time over the course of the day, instead of ddddooooossssseeeee all in one whack. Multiple doeses a day will let you keep your FC a little lower also, which result in adding to the life of the SWG cell. - Food for Thought -

Dave,

I noticed the difference between 25K and 40k SWGs are not that much in price, relatively speaking. $750 vs. $950

Does it make sense to go to maximum cell size to get the best bang for the buck by extending the life of the cell ? (For 8,000 gallon in-ground pool)

What are the useful life lengths of these two products in your best guesstimate ?

Regarding the cost of the lesser expensive ones mentioned, the addage of you get what you pay for applies when it comes to pool pump equipment.

I don't dispute this, and I only suggested Intex if he wanted to try saltwater first for little over $100 before making the big plunge. But I've had a very good experience with mine, and at end of season prices I can afford to buy a new one every year for 8-10 years before I pay what you'll pay for one of the more upscale brands. For an 8000 gal pool, which is just a little larger than mine, it might make more sense financially.

I've been saltwater for five years, and I'm on my 2nd Intex SWG. At $129/ea plus a couple of replacement cells, it's been a good decision considering what I would have spent on chlorine over that same time. And I've never had an algae bloom or performed a SLAM after the initial opening in the spring. A little MA every couple of weeks is usually all I add.

Hi Guys - any guidance on this question is greatly appreciated!

I noticed the difference between 25K and 40k SWGs are not that much in price, relatively speaking. $750 vs. $950

Does it make sense to go to maximum cell size to get the best bang for the buck by extending the life of the cell ? (For 8,000 gallon in-ground pool)

What are the useful life lengths of these two products in your best guesstimate ?

Hey Guys, any guidance on the decision between these two SWGs for my 8,000 Gallon in-ground pool with Pentair pump is greatly appreciated!

1. Hayward AQR15 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 40000-Gallon Cell

$901.99 & FREE Shipping

Amazon.com: Hayward AQR15 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 40000-Gallon Cell: Patio, Lawn Garden

2. Hayward AQR9 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 25000-Gallon Cell

$759.99 + $15.75 shipping

Amazon.com: Hayward AQR9 Goldline AquaRite Electronic Salt Pool Chlorinator Control Box Complete with 25000-Gallon Cell: Patio, Lawn Garden

---------------------------------------

So, it looks like $126 to go with the largest cell. Is this worth doing, in your experience?

Thank you very much!

-JJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.