CALC is high But....

DMS2014

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Houston, Texas
we have been concentrating on our FC issues. Quite a bit has been going on...again.
1. We had a huge deluge again. had to drain water off the pool twice last week
2. Our SWG stopped working. We took it to the store to check it. it's fine. We cleaned the filters per PB, that's fine. SO PB is coming out tomorrow to look at it. using Bleach and pucks.
3. We have been constantly checking the FC. I have tests from 7/26/15 written down.

Right now, our CalC is 425. We read that can be an issue with something. i forget.
7/25 - 425
8/6 425
8/1 425
8/21 375 (after big rain)
8/27 400
8/31 400
9/5 450
9/8 added bleach 1/4 bottle
9/10 375 and pH was high and added acid (and no flow on SWG) 9/9 got message to check cell
- Started using pucks and drained water again
9/12 hubby didn't check it for some reason but we added 1/2 bottle of CyA bc it was 40
9/13 - FC 2/CAL 425/TA 100/CYA 60
We have been checking the FC every day. I can give it to you for any date in the above dates listed.

What do y'all think? Should we try and lower the CALC?

Your CH level alone may not be the issue. High CH can lead to some cloudiness, but yours in not exceptionally high like many other pool owners who do just fine. I suspect your cloudiness is simply related to lack of sanitation - specifically your FC is not high enough for your CYA level. Please see this chart Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Make sure you look at the pool for SWGs. Your FC should be at about 4-5, and your CYA should be at least 70 to protect that FC from the SWG. If you still have cloudiness, you may need to SLAM because algae is setting in. You can learn more about a SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain.

Let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be glad to help.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please let us know your current pH. I didn't' see that posted. Very important.

pool isn't cloudy at all. I thought I had read that high CALC can affect the SWG? Everything is good but the management of the FC.
I looked at the chart but we have NEVER been able to get our CYA up to that chart and have it stay for any length of time. We have been working on keeping the FC at 4 but that's a serious struggle for some reason....

You probably can't keep the FC at or above 4 because there's not enough CYA to protect the FC. That's why the CYA must be that high (70 - 80) for an SWG pool. As to the higher CH, it can be an issue absolutely. How's your pH? That will also be a factor.

pH is 7.8. it was that on 9/10 so we added some acid.

Okay so in addition to getting our SWG going again, we need to somehow get the CYA up and keep it up....
water temp has been in the low 80s - 82 but not it's down to 80 ):

I'm amazed your temp is in the low 80s. Mine is still pushing 90. Uhg! Okay, so keep a close eye on that pH right now. pH must stay down to prevent scaling. I would shoot for a target of about 7.4. In addition, please read this short page on SWG and chemistry. It will outline what and why the chemical levels need to be a certainty way. It speaks very well to your situation.
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
It might be of benefit for your to test your fill/source water that goes into the pool to see how that reads for CH. If it's high, you know that's going to be the way of life for you in your area, but if it's low, then at some point someone added something to add calcium to your water. But it's good to know for future filling.

I am very sad the water is so cold...but it's been uncharacteristically cool here. This morning was like in the 70s! We sat outside and drank coffee. The water has been in the low 80s for over a week now. So sad. I keep thinking the thermometer is broken but then it went lower....

Yes, I guess we should test that too - altho we have only had to add water once or twice when it got very hot in July. It rained the first six months of this year. We got hammered Memorial Day and again this past week. it's been a very unusual season....

Oh, my. I just looked at that chart. Somehow I think I missed it when I was looking at all the other charts and calculators OR I just forgot OR I just can't read English. Take your pick.

One stupid Q. How do we get the TA down? The chart said 60-80. We are consistently at 100-110

TA will come down with acid. Acid lowers both TA and pH, so that's good for you right now. If you always seem to bottom-out pH at 7.2 before getting the TA as low as you want, use this page about lowering TA even further: Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity.

Using the acid then aeration trick is a great tool to bring TA down while keeping pH here it needs to be with aeration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.