Pump Speed Question

Hank B

Sep 9, 2015
Albany, NY
Hello,

I am brand new to this forum. I just got a Pentair Superflo VS (Variable Speed) Pump installed. It has 3 preset options and i have no idea what speeds to run it on and for what amount of time. I just conquered a severe algae problem and am still seeing cloudiness and trying to eliminate that... Obviously energy saving is the main thing that one benefits from with this pump, but any advice on what speeds to use for what length of time???

Thanks,

Hank in Albany, NY

Hello Hank and welcome to TFP! For your pump, you may be interested in reading this page first: Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time.
As for your water and continued cloudiness, I suspect you are not out of the algae woods yet. It would be best if you could post a full set of numbers for us as follows: FC, CC, CYA, pH, TA, and CH). Please test using your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 test kit. If you don't have one, that should be priority #1. Only with those good test kit numbers can we give you the accurate advice you deserve.
Finally, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.
Happy to have you with us!

Another vote for checking out the Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time article. This is the process I used to arrive at the pump run time that works for my pool. With a multi-speed pump, you will have to do several trial & error runs to see what works for you. But it will be worth it in the end.

Also agree that if you are seeing cloudiness after a bout with algae, you may not be out of the woods yet. :testresults: Also, would suggest running an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test - this will help determine if what your are seeing is dead algae that simply needs to be filtered out or whether not all of the algae has been killed off. BTW, what are you using to test with?