SWG and algae

Sep 7, 2015
Sammamish
Hi...thrilled with our SWG but lots of algae in pool near the end of summer (now)
Have drained pool and wondering if ok to let the pool completely dry and trust/hope
that the algae will be easy to clean when we put it up next summer or if suggestions
for getting rid of it now while dry? I am trying to stay away from chemicals/bleach etc
so lots of the (good) suggestions on the main Algae forum thread (...shocking pool
next summer etc) don't really apply to our situation. I'm thinking if the pool is dry and
sits in garage all winter perhaps the algae will just flake off easily with vinegar/bake soda
next summer? Any damage potentially to vinyl by leaving the algae in pool all winter?

thanks so much!

Hi...thrilled with our SWG but lots of algae in pool near the end of summer (now)
Have drained pool and wondering if ok to let the pool completely dry and trust/hope
that the algae will be easy to clean when we put it up next summer or if suggestions
for getting rid of it now while dry? I am trying to stay away from chemicals/bleach etc
so lots of the (good) suggestions on the main Algae forum thread (...shocking pool
next summer etc) don't really apply to our situation. I'm thinking if the pool is dry and
sits in garage all winter perhaps the algae will just flake off easily with vinegar/bake soda
next summer? Any damage potentially to vinyl by leaving the algae in pool all winter?

thanks so much!

Hi Denise,
A SWG alone will not get the job done in order to sanitize the pool properly and kill all the algae and bacteria. Seeing that you already have a bunch of algae, your SWG is not giving you the proper FC for kill everything off.
I would have suggested to SLAM the pool but seeing as you are taking the pool down, I would suggest some reading to prepare for next year.

The key to a trouble free pool is knowing what is inside your pool and its chemical balance.
Pool School - What is TFPC?
Pool school will help a lot with this. Pool School - Pool School Index

As jblizzle says, the SWG converts the salt into chlorine. So your "chemical" restriction is not really practical.
By not keeping the right chemical balance, you will keep seeing a continual of algae, no matter how high the SWG is set at. Many of the "chemicals" suggested on the site are regular household items that in the proper concentration will not have an adverse affect on the health of your family (which I assume is your concern). But on the contrarty will help kill the bacteria that would otherwise be harmful to your health if not kept in check.
These links may help clear up some hesitation you may have.
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Starting next year, I suggest you get yourself a proper test Kit, and get to know the inner workings of your pool.
This link may help you choose the proper kit for your needs.
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

These links will be very helpful in managing your SWG pool next year.
Pool School - Salt Water Chlorine Generators
Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

As for this winter, since the pool is already drained, i suggest you scrub as much of the algae off as you can, hoping that you get it all and keep it dry for the winter. Im thinking that any residual algae can be slammed properly when you reopen the pool next year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.