Is it possible not to backwash for months at a time?

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Listed below is the scenario:

I have 2 main drains, 2 skimmers, 8 returns. The pool was opened on April 26th, 2015. After the first few days, the pressure rose slightly and I backwashed just because it was the beginning of the season. Pressure usually runs around 13 psi. During the summer, I thought something was wrong with my gauge, and in order to rule out the "bouncing needle syndrome", I backwashed again. This was about 45 days later. There was no pressure change at all after backwashing. Sight glass cleared up real quickly (less than 1 minute), and water was not that dirty to begin with.

Since then, I have not backwashed the filter as the pressure has not increased more than 15% (at most). The pool stays relatively clean and I use skimmer socks to catch all the debris and swap them out weekly. When I vacuum, everything is caught in the skimmer basket (with the sock) and then replaced if needed. Have 3 sets of skimmer baskets with socks ready to go. Decided this during pollen season as the accumulation is quick and almost needs to be changed every few days, if not daily. I will backwash when closing the pool as water will need to be drained.

I know that the TFP rule is about 25% over normal starting pressure, while others tell you 10 psi over normal starting pressure. My "bouncing needle", (really not that much) all has to do with the plumbing and vibration. When I shut down the main drains, one skimmer, plus 4 returns, my pressure increases dramatically (over 20 psi) and the needle is fairly stable. The system was clearly oversized and pressure also changed after they added the 4 circulating heads. This kind of rules out the needle is defective. Needle always goes back to "zero".

In this situation, should I backwash at least every 30-60 days, even though pressure really does not change that much? Thank you.

What I think is that your pool is a very clean pool AND the skimmer socks are catching most of the stuff so your filter is not really doing any "work" as far as having to filter out stuff.

If you did not have the socks I bet your filter would need to be backwashed more often as there would be something in it. As it is the socks are doing a great job for you.

If it's not broken don't fix it! LOL Is it easy for you to work with the socks? Do you think it would be easier to just let the filter do every thing? It is up to you. Do what works best for you. It seems to me you have found a wonderful system that is easy to do and very effective.

Kim

It is easier to work with the socks as the water stays clear, and I do not loose any water. Also, it is a PIA to unravel the backwash hose. At one point, I was going to hard pipe everything to the street, but it is not necessary at this point. For a few times a year, easier to deal with the socks.

Similar experience.

As others have said, if you use skimmer socks (I do) and other trapping devices (I have a leaf canister on my suction side cleaner), you are catching like 90% of the stuff that would normally go to the filter. So your filter is working a lot easier.

When mesquite flower/pollen season hit, I was emptying 1 to 2 lbs worth of pollen/flower gunk from my skimmer basket every day (not to mention dead beetles and cinch bugs). In previous seasons, all that gunk would have go into the filter.

So if you're ok doing the extra work of emptying skimmer socks, then you're all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was just considering this same question. I did a full disassemble and clean of our DE filter in March, and the pressure is pretty much the same today. It's actually easier for me to pull it apart and clean it than to hook up that ridiculous blue hose and find somewhere to drain all that water, so I might try to just do a full clean every 9 months and skip the backwash. And plus that way I get the correct amount of DE in there. The "add 80% after backwash" just doesn't seem very reliable to me.

I was just considering this same question. I did a full disassemble and clean of our DE filter in March, and the pressure is pretty much the same today. It's actually easier for me to pull it apart and clean it than to hook up that ridiculous blue hose and find somewhere to drain all that water, so I might try to just do a full clean every 9 months and skip the backwash. And plus that way I get the correct amount of DE in there. The "add 80% after backwash" just doesn't seem very reliable to me.

I got fed up with the blue fire hose too and decided to go grab a few lengths of 1-1/2" PVC pipe and some unions and make my own backwash line. I can disassemble it for storage behind the equipment pad and attach it as needed. Now when I backwash (like you I can go months without the pressure rising) I get the water in the same spot every time....right in my neighbors backyard :D (joking of course)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My "norm" is 21psi. After 4 months of summer it just hit 28, so cleaned it today. Probably should have backwashed 2 months ago. It was really dirty, large and almost rock particles. I also use a skimmer sock, but must be pulling the dirt from the drains. Just never thought the kids were that dirty! At least the 48' of filters was easy to clean since I'm using Zeofiber instead of DE. I typically don't backwash unless I plan on pulling the lid and cleaning the filters. Normally just once per season, but may start doing it twice now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.