clogged pipe

Aug 1, 2008
Ok..I know the rules and I tried to follow them. I searched and read a few responses, but nothing has helped. I see that there are 14 registered users on right now so hopefully I can get instant help. I bought a new G3 Baracuda for my pool....it's been working great, but now it seems like the "pipe" from the skimmer basket (where I plug in the vac) to the pump is clogged...barely any water moves through and of course the vac isn't working. I do not know how to clear the pipe. I know that there are TONS of leaves in the pool, we have been working round the clock to clear them out (also working on the legality of cutting down the tree hanging over it)....any help? I'm wondering if there is a way to push water back through it?? Really dumb with pools, just know basics...help?

I can offer some ideas but I have no idea how realistic they may be...

1) Do you have a valve that will allow you to shut off the main drain and simply pump from the skimmer? This might be enough to make something move if it is in there.

2) Own a plumbers' snake? Snake the pipe...depends upon the length and bends I guess. Maybe an electrician's fish tape...

3) Reverse the pump motor wiring and run it backwards...I'M KIDDING :hammer: I don't think this would be a good idea but it would reverse the water flow :shock:

The first place to check is the pump strainer basket. Too much debris in there will slow down your circulation dramatically.

Another thing to try is to get a drain king, an attachment for your garden hose used to clear clogs. Open up the pump strainer basket and remove the basket. That should allow you to fit the drain king into the pump intake pipe. That might be able to clear the clog.

chezhed, changing the wiring on the pump will not cause it to run backwards. Pool pumps have AC connections, which can be hooked up either way.

Speaking as someone who has run their motor backwards ( :oops: accidentally, course)... DON'T DO IT!!

The motor unscrewed itself from the impeller, the impeller ran into the pump housing, the motor shaft then cracked the back side of the motor housing (The foot bone's connected to the leg bone ...) . See this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/busted-motor-again-t5357.html.

If there was any reverse water flow, I really didn't notice. Good luck with the clog.

jkalan said:
Speaking as someone who has run their motor backwards ( :oops: accidentally, course)... DON'T DO IT!!

The motor unscrewed itself from the impeller, the impeller ran into the pump housing, the motor shaft then cracked the back side of the motor housing (The foot bone's connected to the leg bone ...) . See this thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/busted-motor-again-t5357.html.

If there was any reverse water flow, I really didn't notice. Good luck with the clog.

How did you manage to do that? Back pressure when you were turning it off and back on again? That's the ONLY situation where a reverse-threaded impeller screw helps and I've never seen it happen.

don't feel bad, I did almost the same thing just a few days ago :oops:

I got my clogged skimmer line to clear by shoving a garden hose into the skimmer, snaking at the pump connection (my clog was right near the pump line, luckily) and had to snack it for awhile to loosen it up and then finally shoved in a wet vac (pump line side) and just kept at it..

I also made sure the pump basket was clear (I tried just shutting off the main drain but, it wasnt enough water pressure).....once I went with the above route it unclogged in about 20mins (the snake I used was just a bent wire hanger)

I have a connector that you are suppose to be able to unscrew (which would have gave me access to the clog) but, I couldn't get the darn thing off.

good luck

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.