New Spa...feeling frustrated and confused!

TheBraLady

Gold Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Concord, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We just got a 434 gallon Bullfrog last week up and running...and I read the sticky note on how to use Bromide...but here's my question:

Spa store said to just use the tabs...2 per week...and either didn't have the sodium bromide to sell me or just wouldn't...not sure which...

So I've been trying to get the water balanced and it is driving me nuts! I think, from what I've read here, that it will take quite some time to build up a reading of Bromine, correct?

Is it too late now to purchase the sodium bromine online and add it? Should I just continue the floater with the tabs?

2nd question: pH will NOT come down! The spa manual said specifically NOT to use MA, so I'm using pH Down by Rendezvous. Is that stuff just junk, or do I need to just be patient?

I can post more information if it would be helpful...and I'm using a Taylor 2005 test kit...

Thank you for taking time to help me out. I just love this site! My pool is perfect! I WILL have a perfect spa! ;)

You will build up bromide from the spent bromine from tab use over time. If you add chlorine, then to the extent you don't have enough bromide you'll get chlorine instead. If you use Dichlor, then that will add some CYA so that the chlorine won't be too strong.

It's not too late to add sodium bromide if you want to, but you can just use chlorine after each soak since really that's what you would be doing anyway.

Rendezvous pH Down is sodium bisulfate and should work, but perhaps your TA level is too high and/or you have lots of aeration causing the pH to rise. Are you adding the amount of acid based on the acid demand test of your Taylor kit? If so, you should see the pH drop, but need to test it around 10-15 minutes after you add it. If you wait too long (i.e. the next day) the pH may have risen again.

How do I determine how much chlorine to use after each soak?

I am so sorry - I've read the stickies and I'm just confused. Am I aiming for the 3-6 ppm FC level? Even though I'm using the bromine tabs in the floater?

You should aim to start your soak with 2-4 ppm Bromine unless you don't mind it being higher (most people want it to be low so not as noticeable).

You add whatever is needed after your soak to achieve that goal. IF you set your bromine floater to just maintain a background bromine level (i.e. 2-4 ppm) when not soaking for days, then the amount added after your soak (with no ozonator) is roughly for every person-hour of soaking in a hot (104ºF) spa, 3-1/2 teaspoons of Dichlor or 3-1/2 fluid ounces of 8.25% bleach or 7 teaspoons of non-chlorine shock (43% MPS).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.