Sealing the concrete

May 1, 2008
Has anyone put a sealant on the concrete decking around their pool?

I understand this may be helpful in preventing cracking of the concrete during the winter months.

If you have done so, can you let me know which product you have used? I would assume an anti-slip additive would have to be put into the sealant to prevent slipping when the concrete becomes wet.

Thanks

darrenw said:
Has anyone put a sealant on the concrete decking around their pool?
I understand this may be helpful in preventing cracking of the concrete during the winter months.
I use a concrete sealant on my concrete decking every spring, BUT... I have colored stamped concrete decking and concrete coping.

I seal it to enhance the color and keep it looking "new" 8) . I don't seal the surface to "prevent cracking" as I don't know of anything that does that :arrow: . -I'll check with my contractor to see what his opinion is, but I'm betting that it's the same.
Terry in NC

Ditto for me. The sealant added every year to our colored textured (troweled) concrete is to protect the finish and help repel water to have the concrete last longer. It does not prevent cracking from normal physical stresses, though probably would help protect cracking or flaking caused by water freeze/thaw cycles since it does keep water mostly out of the interior of the concrete.

[EDIT] The sealant we use is "Glaze ‘N Seal Multi-Purpose Clear Sealer". [END-EDIT]

hodapmj said:
Any recommendations for concrete sealers for tinted stamped concrete?
Has yours already been sealed? If so you need to know the type of sealer and reuse the same type. The concrete also has to be very clean: I do a light <very light> pressure wash on mine before I re-seal it.
I'd also recommend that you talk with a concrete conpany in the area. They have been great and don't mind that some of ask 'less-than-brilliant" :lol: questions!
Terry in NC

fuzzy_dba said:
I have colored stamped concrete decking and concrete coping.

I seal it to enhance the color and keep it looking "new" 8) . I don't seal the surface to "prevent cracking" as I don't know of anything that does that :arrow: . -I'll check with my contractor to see what his opinion is, but I'm betting that it's the same.
Terry in NC

Hi Terry!
Sorry for asking a q in someone elses thread but -
since we are both in NC - what brand of stamped concrete sealer do you use? We want to seal ours, also bring back the shine, and we in need to color some spots...any recommendations?

PS: The company that installed our stamped concrete does not do residential stuff anymore so no luck in getting in touch with them.

Cheerio!

NCSalt said:
...brand of stamped concrete sealer do you use?...bring back the shine...to color some spots...any recommendations?
Note: Please be careful about the "shine". Even with stamped concrete that has lots of texture too much shine can mean too slick, which can cause accidents :salut: .

The sealer that I use is made by BASF, and the name is "Kure-N-Seal 30".
It's an acrylic (solvent based) sealer and I had to go to a concrete mixing plant to buy it.

Per my concrete man, "It can take 2-3 days to seal completely, so make sure that it won't rain in that time period. Otherwise, it's can get a milky haze."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.