Teal vacation pool safe to swim?

Sep 13, 2015
Crewe
Hey guys,

My wife and I recently arrived in greece for our annual vacation, and upon our arrival we discovered the pool was teal in colour and a little cloudy (we can only just see the bottom). The morning after our visit we spoke to our holiday rep who had a word with the maintainance guy. Who said he tests the pool every day and all the levels were fine. He even sent her back to me with a glass of the pool water to show it was actually clear (not sure that actually proves anything though) and that is was off colour due to the rains they have had.

What im after here is :
a, a little expert advice so I know what im taking about when I next speak to them, as at the moment it feels like it dosn't add up.
b, if the pool is ok a little independant reasurance, as my wife if 5 months pregnant and I want to ensure both her and the babys safety.

I do have some photos of the pool if they would help although i cant see a way to upload them.

Many thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. :wave: If there is existing chlorine in the pool, it is likely safe despite it's color. That said, I don't think I would be interested in swimming in it and it certainly won't get cleared up by the pool guy who knows next to nothing.

Welcome to the forum.

I would not swim in it. After learning about pool care I will never swim in a pool that I have not personally tested, especially with strangers swimming in the same pool. You can take water that looks clear in a glass and when you fill a pool with it suddenly it does not look so clear. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your vacation in Greece. How about posting some pictures of the pool. I am sure a lot of members would like to see it as wellas some pictures of Greece. Here is a link that might help.

How to add pictures to a post (full guide with screenshots))

Hi guys

Thanks for your feedback so far. Things just dont look right. And as much as i would love to jump in the pool when its hot, i really dont feel I want to risk it. Any details I can discuss with the holisday rep here, as to why we shouldn't be swimmming ( risks etc) and why a clean glass dosnt mean much would be greatly appreciated.

As for photos heres one of the pool from friday

Pool, green Pictures, Pool, green Images, Pool, green Photos, Pool, green Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing Video Hosting

Sorry if this dosnt work quite as it should. Everything is just a little bit harder from a mobile.

Cheers

A clear glass of water tells you nothing about the chemistry of the pool or what is growing in the water. I would ask if they could provide test results from the last several tests including time and date they were sampled. Post the results here if available and people can give you advice if it is safe to swim. Judging from the pictures I would not swim in it. Good luck and I hope it does not ruin your vacation. I would love to visit Greece but I cannot get the wife to fly.

If you get test results, find out what they used to test with. If the water was clear, but tinted, that could just be some metals and I would be less concerned. Cloudy could mean lack of chlorine or that they just added something like baking soda, soda ash, etc.

midxsy.jpg

Im sorry, but that's past cloudy, that's green. I'd pass on getting in personally from this photo. If you can not clearly see the bottom of the deep end it is unsafe. If a person were to pass out for any reason and go underwater, body harm can happen.

midxsy.jpg

Im sorry, but that's past cloudy, that's green. I'd pass on getting in personally from this photo. If you can not clearly see the bottom of the deep end it is unsafe. If a person were to pass out for any reason and go underwater, body harm can happen.

Agree 100%!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.