Hi
Just thought I would ask here I am completed confused why I get green algae
My levels are
FC 6.5
PH 7.8
Alk 125
Cal 400
CYA 50

I just poured 110 oz of chlorine in there to bring it up to shock level or slam .
I just did this about 3 months ago .
I dont understand why the algae comes back when my chlorine levels are around 6-7 ppm.
I though I would check here to see if anyone has any ideas.
Thanks
Mark

Have you completely followed the SLAM process until you passed the three criteria to stop?
I did follow the criteria a few months ago . I just started the process again
a few hours ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you checked for hidden pockets of algae where there is poor water circulation, such as behind ladders or in light niches?

Well this pool is pretty small . I have no ladders . I did notice it on the steps around the corners. I brushed the whole pool and then put in the chlorine to slam it.
I just wouldn't think it would have algae at 6.5 ppm . Unless I let the levels get low and it creeped up on me . It has been very hot here close to 100 for days

As a general observation based on doing this for around 10 years, this seems to be the most active time for algae to creep into pools. I am not sure why but we get more post like this in August and September than in the prime swim season of May June, July.

If I had to say why, I think it might be that the water is warmest in August and warm water means a higher chlorine consumption than at other times. It also could be influenced by folks letting their guard down and allowing the FC to drop. It is probably a combination of many factors......some of which we don't fully understand.

I think the best advice is to be especially vigilant as your swim season winds down. Extra chlorine and a little extra management will probably keep most pools crystal clear.

Hi Just thought I would ask here I am completed confused why I get green algae
My levels are FC 6.5 PH 7.8 Alk 125 Cal 400 CYA 50 Mark

Q: Are you using one of the recommend test kits for testing?
Q: Are you getting green algae spots (here and there), or the whole pool has turned green, because walls and floors are covered with a film of algae?

My best guess would be not brushing as necessary, and/or poor circulation in those areas if they are just spots. My friends, who lack returns in larger pools, usually have algae spots in August, when it is hottest. They usually slack off on the brushing part. Once they get back to brushing, algae seems not to show up ever again (if they maintain proper water chemistry). Please keep us posted! :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.