Green Pool

Tim S

Sep 12, 2015
Citrus Heights
I'm trying to get rid of green algae. I have added liquid chlorine. FC is at 7. CYA is at 50. I cleaned the four cartridge filters a week ago before I shocked it. The pool is still green and the filter pressure is staying the same as when I cleaned it last Saturday - 10 psi. The filters are 4 1/2 years old. Do I need to replace the filters?

Hello Tim and welcome to TFP. It's not your filter really, it's your chemistry. What are you using to test the water? Green = SLAM via Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain. With a CYA of 50, your FC needs to stay at 20 until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Follow that SLAM page and you will do well.

- - - Updated - - -

Post a full set of results with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 and it will help us.

Hi Tim,

As someone who just finished clearing up a green pool, I can tell you that the SLAM process will work. At first, you will need to test your FC level more often (every hour or so). Keep bringing the FC level back up to your shock level, which is 20 ppm, based on a CYA level of 50. It is important to do this often, in the beginning, so the algae does not have a chance to take over. You can use the PoolMath tool to figure out how much bleach to add. I found it to be a useful tool for this process.

Obviously, this can be hard because you need to have enough time to do this, depending on your schedule. I was able to test early in the morning, and add whatever bleach I need to add to get it to shock level. Then, after work at night, I was able to test 4-5 times before bed time, adding bleach as needed. Weekends worked out much better because I could SLAM the pool all day, during the sunlight hours when your FC level will likely go down the most.

Good luck!

I'm trying to get rid of green algae. I have added liquid chlorine. FC is at 7. CYA is at 50. I cleaned the four cartridge filters a week ago before I shocked it. The pool is still green and the filter pressure is staying the same as when I cleaned it last Saturday - 10 psi. The filters are 4 1/2 years old. Do I need to replace the filters?

Q: How are you testing? Without the proper recommended test kits, it will be difficult to clear the pool up.
Q: How long have you been trying to get rid of the green algae?

The SLAM process could take anywhere from 7-14 days depending on how long the algae has been there. Please make sure that you follow the SLAM procedure and not to take any short cuts. You must pass all 3 tests or the problems will surface again. Additions of liquid chlorine should be added frequently to keep the levels at shock level based on your CYA.

Once you have test results, please post results as follows:

CYA
TC
CC
CH
TA
PH

Please read over this material! :)

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.