Did CC guideline get lowered to < 0.5 instead of < 1.0?

Red

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 11, 2010
Orange County, CA
I see from the ABCs that if my CC is too high, it's time to SLAM. However, everyone here has usually told me if it's lower than 1.0, it's fine, but now I see it should be lower than 0.05. Did the guideline get lowered? I've sometimes had 1.0 and not worried about it. Today I have 1.5, so it's SLAM time :(

The <= .5 CC still applies, and is just one of the 3 criteria used to evaluate your water condition. An elevated CC simply means that your free chlorine is in the process of killing some organics, and those organics are in a "trash" state if you will, awaiting oxidation. When it goes over .5, we tends to look closely at all the readings and conditions of the water before jumping to conclusions. With your CC reading, you should also evaluate the clarity of your water, and if you still have a concern about algae, do an OLCT to confirm if you need to SLAM.
When performing the OLCT, remember that it must be done when the sun has dropped – no sunlight on the pool. About 8 hours total is recommended. If you have an SWG, turn it off. Also, your FC level should be elevated more than normal. Starting (bedtime) FC could be close to your SLAM level, but no lower than 10. Anything less and you may not receive an accurate portrayal of FC loss (by percentage), even if it’s only 1 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.