What is the proper prep for a replaster?

Jaimslaw

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
San Diego, CA
My pool body has been stripped of the old plaster via jackhammer. It's still got some small left over chips and dust in it. I was curious as to what is the standard prep procedure prior to the PB applying the plaster. Does he vacuum out loose debris and dust, or hose everything to the deep and and then suck out the collection of debris? Just wanting to know what is the SOP to ensure plaster has a strong bond (or what would be considered a sub-standard prep at this stage)

Searched and found a lot about poor plastering technique, ie troweling with too much water, using too much calcium chloride...but couldn't find anything about the prep. Thanks.

Last edited:
Check with your Dept of Consumer affairs or contractors board. Swimming pools create a lot of performance issues, and most states have a lot of do's and don'ts for home owners. So you might snoop around there.

There are also probably standards and codes for plaster, as well as associations with published recommendations.

From what I can gather from research so far is that if the plaster is chipped out, it leaves a sufficiently roughed up surface for the plaster to bond without need of a bonding cost. My hunch is that in this state, wetting down the pool body is all that is done, so long as there are no large (perhaps .5" or more) chips left in the pool. I suspect that any residual dust and very small chips harmlessly joins with the new plaster being applied and does not present an issue insofar as making a good bond.

Still left eft wondering if, for exampl, an overly water saturated surface area impedes the bonding of the new plaster, referring to the small pool of water that remains in the deep end after the demo guys hose down / water sweep chips and debris to the deep end. My guess is that when the PB arrives and sucks that out, applying plaster to that more water saturated part of the pool body will not impede proper adhesion.

Just thought someone who who had theirs redone might weigh in on what that final prep step was, assuming they were there right before the plaster applying process.

When a pool is chipped out it is then typically washed down or pressure washed, then a shop vac used to remove water and remaining debris. A bond kote is normally not used on a chipped out pool. If a pool is sandblasted or water jetted then a bond kote is applied. When plastered the pool will be shot with a scratch coat and the the finish coat. A clean surface before the new plaster is applied is important no matter what prep method is used.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.