Boil Water Advisory and high CYA results

Hey all,

Im new to the whole pool thing and have been cleaning up my new pool this week. The previous owner never covered the pool this winter so i have taken almost a whole wheelbarrow of leaves out of it. I am now filling it, it is almost full. I did a test and found that the cya was really high. >100. I tested the water before filling and also tested the tap water. both seemed to have almost no CYA. We have a boil water advisory here now due to high turbidity. Does this effect my CYA test? Im pretty sure i will get this thing figured out!

The CYA test can read higher than actual if the water is very murky. One way to check for this is to fill the CYA view tube with straight pool water and check to see if the black dot is visible. If the black dot has disappeared, you should not believe your CYA test results.

The CYA test can also read lower than actual if you do the test with very cold water. The sample should be allowed to warm up to room temperature before doing the test.

There would not be any CYA in your tap water.

If the CYA level is really over 100 you will want to bring it down by replacing water. It is very important to get CYA below 100, and desirable to get it down to about 50.

You want to make sure that the water is throughly mixed before counting on your test results. Ideally 24 hours with the pump running will guarantee that everything is well mixed, though even one hour is almost sure to be enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.