Close to contract, Looking for Input...

Sep 11, 2015
Mesa, AZ
Hello all, I am close to signing contract to begin construction of a new pool. Here are is the current proposal:
103 ft perimeter
538 sq feet surface.
Depth 3.5-5.5-4,
2 baja shelves one at the 2nd step and the other at about 18 inches. Plus one bench on the opposite side of the pool
70 sq ft natural rock waterfall
Mini pebble interior (color to be determined)
Travertine coping and decking

Pentair Equipment: Intelliflo variable speed pump, Clean and clear plus cartridge filter and easy touch panel.

A&A Products: Magna Sweep In-Floor cleaning system, Venturi skimmer, Venturi gamma cleaning heads, leaf vac canister, Quick pure 3 ozone system, and Quick Dek Clor

Savi LED lighting (4 total lights)

My largest concern is the mini pebble interior. I am torn between mini pebble and pebble sheen. Any thoughts, recommendations or feedback? Also, any feedback on the A&A in-floor cleaning system would be appreciated.

This will be the first pool I have built new, second pool have owned.

I have a child with extremely sensitive skin, when he swims in pools with normal chlorine levels he breaks out in rashes etc. We have friends that have ozone and he has no problems in their pool. He also does well in salt pools but we want travertine decking.

Had a robot vac in the past and it was nothing but a money pit. Constantly buying parts and rebuilding. In AZ, dust and sediment is the main issue and other pool owners are having positive experiences with in-floor. in the past, I had a Hayward robot and it was a nightmare, always broken. I switched to a Zodiac Baracuda and I was constantly buying the membranes.

- - - Updated - - -

Salt is extremely corrosive to travertine and have seen first hand what it does to travertine. it can be done but you have to seal on a regular basis. Our childcare provider has a salt pool with travertine decking, the pool is 3 years old and the decking is falling apart. it is corroding away. Every pool builder I consulted in AZ advised me to avoid travertine if I want a salt pool.

Initial thought is that the pools 'with normal chlorine levels' are not necessarily well balanced and that could be the real issue. Except for the salt content, SWCG and bleach dumper pools are practically identical in water makeup. The real difference could be TFPC method pool vs non/TFPC method pool that is causing the difference. The ozone pools could very well have other differences from the chlorine pools you frequent. Using ozone to reduce chlorine has pitfalls.

Others will be along with other insights. Mine are not those of a pro for sure.

For me the water and related issues come before the decking surface in the pecking order for a pool area. I love our SWCG for ease of maintenance overall.

Best of luck with he many decisions through the process. Best advice is to have patience and be an active part of the process.

Thanks for the advice. I have sat down with 4 pool builders here in the Valley (AZ) and I was planning on a SWCG but they all talked me out of it. The builders told me the maintenance and corrosive properties of salt is not worth the benefits. I was very surprised. I thought salt was the way to go.

There are or have been several AZ pool builds on this forum, but don't recall if any were SWG. Perhaps one of them will chime in. I'm sure if you used the search tool you could locate their build threads.

Im building mine with Salt water and travertine coping. ills let you know in a few months after it is done. LOL.
I will be sealing my coping.

There are plenty of people on here who have done traverinte with their salt water and no issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In-floor has impressed me, to be honest. I grew up with snakes, sweeper eels, etc and they always seemed to get hung up in one area or the hose kinked and then no cleaning. The in-floor makes for better circulation and once you figure out your runtime for the pump at it's various speeds it is definitely less maintenance. We've had a few storm since ours was completed and short of getting in and skimming by hand for all the tiny Mesquite leaves, the PV3 has kept up nicely, but I brush daily as well.

We went with straight chlorine, and PB was wiling to install SWG and UV, but for the cost and hearing horror stories from others on replacement cost and adjusting with pump speed changes, this just seems easier for us. The travertine deck seems subject to rock scratching when a pebble gets under one of the chairs, but aside from that, very happy with the color and it's the only surface which you can walk on in full sun in the middle of summer and not require shoes.

i would listen to your PB advice though, they don't want to steer you wrong because it means maintenance callbacks under warranty for them, and a potentially dissatisfied customer.

In-floor has impressed me, to be honest. I grew up with snakes, sweeper eels, etc and they always seemed to get hung up in one area or the hose kinked and then no cleaning. The in-floor makes for better circulation and once you figure out your runtime for the pump at it's various speeds it is definitely less maintenance. We've had a few storm since ours was completed and short of getting in and skimming by hand for all the tiny Mesquite leaves, the PV3 has kept up nicely, but I brush daily as well.

We went with straight chlorine, and PB was wiling to install SWG and UV, but for the cost and hearing horror stories from others on replacement cost and adjusting with pump speed changes, this just seems easier for us. The travertine deck seems subject to rock scratching when a pebble gets under one of the chairs, but aside from that, very happy with the color and it's the only surface which you can walk on in full sun in the middle of summer and not require shoes.

i would listen to your PB advice though, they don't want to steer you wrong because it means maintenance callbacks under warranty for them, and a potentially dissatisfied customer.

Yes my last pool had a Zodiac Barracuda cleaner and it was a pain, always hung up, constantly buying membranes. I am torn between the Paramount In-floor and the A&A in floor. I like the A&A main drain and huge leaf vac canister. How is the Paramount main drain and leaf collection system?

Main drain is MDX with SDX side drain to pick up any midlevel sediment and works really well. When running high speed cleaning, you can see the side drain pulling in stuff as it flows past. The main drain sees a steady diet of 1/4 minus decomposed granite which surrounds the pool and these are caught in the pump cage; no separate leaf separator. I brush any DG from the bottom into the drain and the wide open section flow it right in. We have a mesquite behind the water feature which drops a lot of tiny leaves and sticks and these flow right through.

No experience with A&A, so maybe someone will chime in,

I'm not familiar with the A&A brand, but our pool was finished about 4 weeks ago and we have the Paramount PV3 Infloor cleaning system. We love it! Only vacuumed once (the day it was filled) and haven't seen as much as a speck since. Well, the last few mornings we have worms that look like meal worms or small caterpillars in our pool on the bottom, but they are all gone and in the leaf canister an hour after the Infloor cleaning system starts up. I've emptied rocks as big as my fingernail out of the leaf canister already. It does a great job keeping the floor clean.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.