Gunite Slide Refinishing

Sep 11, 2015
Northborough MA
Purchased a home last year with a solid functional gunite pool but due for some renovations.

Plaster is near the end of its life and we are currently in the final stages of selecting contractors/products for an aggregate finish, either PebbleTec or Stonescapes. All the information I've researched seems to indicate the products are virtually identical and selecting the best installer is the key.

The real reason for my post here is a lack of finding good info out there on what is likely the best option to re-coat the gunite slide built into the hill rising from the top of the raised beam at the deep end.
The slide looks to have been previously coated with epoxy paint. We can't confirm which brand or formula was previously used and I've been told by multiple PB that if we don't use the same kind it will likely not bond properly and peel off within a year or so if not sooner. So we have to strip it, sand-blast it smooth and re-coat. Both PB we have narrowed our selection down to for the pool finish have recommended alternatives to the epoxy paint.
One recommended Eco Finish Aquabrite which I have found some posting on here but nothing conclusive and only on replacing plaster, nothing on slides which is the main reason this PB took on the product as they do instal a lot of gunite slides with their builds.
The other referred me to a partner who uses what appears to be a similar product but is so new to the market I am finding almost no info out there, Resodyne ResoCoat.

Both look to be durable, if they last half as long as claimed I'd be happy since by then the kids will be grown and if we still are in the house it is unlikely the slide will be in use. I'm mostly concerned if either would be a nice slick surface for the slide.

Does anyone have any knowledge of either of these or any other suggestions for re-coating a gunite slide. I definitely would lean toward playing it safe and only use products intended for pools. I did see a past similar inquiry and there were suggestions to use garage floor coatings and other alternatives and I am too risk averse to try anything off-label like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.