Chlorine not holding ?

Sep 11, 2015
Riverside , Ca
I have been working on this pool 28,000 gallon for about three weeks now, and can Not get a
Chlorine reading of any kind ? I have added the proper amount of Conditioner the Ph is reading
at 7.6 and the TA is at 100 what is going on. I have added 3 gallons of liquid chlorine and 4 Tabs
just to try to get a reading and nothing . What is going on any help would be Great Thanks.

Troubled

How are you testing? Do you have one of the recommended test kits? 3 gallons of what % strength liquid chlorine? Please post up a full set of results.

In order for the TFP community to assist you in clearing up your pool, we need some information from your own test kit.

I am using liquid chlorine full strength, I have brushed all the algae and cleaned the filters twice
it is Staying algae free at the moment but getting cloudy at times ?

Why it gets cloudy, it will use up more chlorine than you've added in just an hour. You should be testing every hour until most of the chlorine is still there from one hour to the next. Then you can start waiting a little longer between tests.

Hi breal951,

Would you mind posting your full tests results?

It is possible that you have algae growing even if you don't see the bloom accumulation yet.
You might need to slam the pool, but knowing your full results, especially CYA, we can guide you better.

Also, what is your primary method of chlorination, I see that you are using liquid chlorine and tabs as well. What Tabs are you using?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On my test kit, 100 cya is the maximum range, ( what test kit do you use)?
Sadly your CYA might be higher than that. With such a High CYA, it may be impractical to SLAM. With that high of CYA and the cloudiness, you are not getting enough sanitation to kill the algae.
You can retry the test but with 1:1 pool water and tap water, multiplying the result by 2.

If the CYA is still over 100, you might have to drain some of the pool water to get the CYA to a level that we can manage and then SLAM to kill the algae.
The tabs you are using increase the CYA. Maybe removing them completely and switching to bleach may be your best bet.

5 lbs. in 28,000 gallons shouldn't have raised CYA from 40 to 100+.

How are you measuring CYA levels (and other test results)?

Unless you are using a salt water generator for chlorination (are you?), CYA at 40 would have been pretty good...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.