Got my TF-100 Test Kit with first results

Romer

Jun 27, 2015
Little Falls,NJ
It has rained a couple of days and walked outside and there was algae growth at the pool floor. I brushed the pool and turned the filter on and anticipated the arrival of my TF-100 kit.

I purchased a home with a pool and up till now, I've been using basic Taylor pH, Chlorine and TA test.

So I tested my water with the TF-100 Kit and here's my results:

pH-7.8
FC-20
TC- >5
CC-2
TA-130
CH-400
CYA-75

Any recommendations on what to do?
Currently after brushing the pool,the water is still cloudy. I would like to get appropriate levels before I close my pool for the winter.

Going to SLAM the pool so I added the appropriate amount of Bleach as suggested by the Pool Math to get the FC levels to SLAM levels as per CYA levels.

Thanks guys in advance!

Yes, most definitely test your CYA. It's one of your most important tests. Proper lighting is important for the CYA test. You want to test for CYA outside on a sunny day, but keep the skinny view tube in the shade. Taylor recommends standing in the sun with your back to the sun and the view tube in the shade of your body. Use the mixing bottle to combine/mix the required amounts of pool water and R-0013 reagent, let sit for 30 seconds, then mix again. Then, while holding the skinny tube with the black dot at waist level, begin squirting the mixed solution into the skinny tube. Watch the black dot until it completely disappears. Once it disappears, record the CYA reading. After the first test, you can pour the mixed solution from the skinny view tube back to the mixing bottle, shake, and do the same test a second, third, or fourth time to instill consistency in your technique, become more comfortable with the testing, and validate the CYA reading.

Once you have your CYA, go to the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and find your corresponding FC for that CYA level. Since you have algae, you need to find your SLAM/Shock FC level and keep it there until you pass the 3 SLAM criteria. Read the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain page and follow the instructions carefully. It will work. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

I should highlight that before starting a SLAM, one of the first things you must do is adjust pH to about 7.2. Make sure you do that first!

Okay, you have a pretty high CYA. 75 is rounded up to 80. For a non-SWG pool, your target (normal day) FC should be 9, the SLAM/Shock level a 31. That's up there. Would you be willing to do a partial drain to exchange new water to lower the CYA some? Try to get the CYA down to about 50? If not, then you'll need enough bleach to get up to 31 and stay there until you pass a SLAM. If you have tabs in that floater, please remove them now. They increase CYA quickly.

I stopped using the floater once I found out the have CYA.
I can't do a partial drain at the moment. I added 242oz of 8.25% Bleach to get it to SLAM levels.

Would partially draining the water when I close the pool be okay?I planned to do it then to help lower the CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend continuing your SLAM. SLAMs almost never complete in one or two days. Especially when there is visible algae in the pool. So be patient and have some more bleach ready to keep the FC at 31 all day. Why did it go up? It could've simply been something "slightly" off during the test from one test to the other. But there's no need to keep it much higher than 31. Too much and you'll just be wasting bleach and money. Your slightly elevated CC means the bleach is killing something and it's beginning to process for oxidation. So hang in there. "Maintain" that SLAM FC of 31.
About your question earlier - after you pass the SLAM, and your water is A-Okay, if you chose to drain then to lower your CYA you can. I would probably just leave it until spring though. You don't have much more of a season right? SO when you close and re-open, you might find that the CYA dropped a little over the winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, please go back to the SLAM page to ensure you are still doing all of the things each day it tells you to do. Those are very important for best results.

Yep pretty cloudy up here in North Jersey at the moment. Possible showers as well. Just did a re-check for the 3rd time today..

FC-38.5
CC-0-0.5(it looked clear after the R-0003 but put one drop of R-871 anyway)

Unfortunately I work tonight and can't do anymore test.
If it rains tonight, what can I expect when I do the test tomorrow morning when I get home?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.