MCase with TFTK results

mcase

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 27, 2009
Galveston, Tx
FC = 14, pH 7.8 TA 160, CH 350, CYA 90, CSI 0.42
1. I'm tying to figure out if I need to try to adjust either the TA or the CYA. In the info about elevated TA there is a warning about simply hitting a target level. My pH doesn't seem to move very much and according to the pool calculator the CSI is 0.42 which does not seems problematic. Incidentally, my pool has two fountains for aeration.

2. I need help reading the Chlorine CYA chart. What does the Shock FC1 column mean?

3. I will happily convert to using liquid bleach and other household products to balance the pool. (I love this site.)

My only other concern is with the stains from Ike last fall and they are fading pretty well.

IF you are currently using trichlor tablets then your TA is fine and your pH will be stable. However, this is why your CYA is so high and it will only climb higher. If you switch to an unstabilized chlorine source like bleach then you will need to lower your TA substantially.

mcase said:
FC = 14, pH 7.8 TA 160, CH 350, CYA 90, CSI 0.42
1. I'm tying to figure out if I need to try to adjust either the TA or the CYA. In the info about elevated TA there is a warning about simply hitting a target level. My pH doesn't seem to move very much and according to the pool calculator the CSI is 0.42 which does not seems problematic. Incidentally, my pool has two fountains for aeration.

2. I need help reading the Chlorine CYA chart. What does the Shock FC1 column mean?
3. I will happily convert to using liquid bleach and other household products to balance the pool. (I love this site.)

My only other concern is with the stains from Ike last fall and they are fading pretty well.

Welcome! :wave:

That's your shock level - for a CYA of 90 your shock level according to the chart is 35. You should always, and I do mean always keep the FC above 7 (your minimum target) to prevent an algae bloom. Between 7-10 is a good, daily regular number. Shoot for 10 on the hot days, and when the bather load is up.

You can consider doing a partial drain to lower the CYA to a more managable number, (you can see the recommended levels article in Pool School). The way to lower CYA is through water replacement. Lower CYA means lower corresponding chlorine levels....In the meantime, use bleach additions, daily, to maintain your minimum FC. Have you checked out the Pool Calculator - this tells you how to calculate how much bleach and other chems you will need to add for your pool.

Since you have a considerable source of aeration, and if you plan to stop using pucks, you may experience your PH rise frequently. If you notice it creeping up and constant additions of acid are necessary, you can lower your TA which will make the PH more stable. Read about How To Lower Total Alkalinity in Pool School.

Hope this helps....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.