Starting AA treatment - Question about FC

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Hi,

I'm starting an AA treatment this weekend to eliminate the staining of my liner. I've already done the vitamin C test and have started to lower my FC. Unfortunately, it's been rainy/cloudy and lowering the FC is taking forever.

First question...how critical is it for FC to be 0 when I start this? I want to do it this weekend so I am home to re-balance and bring the FC back up.

Second question....assuming I use about 2 pounds of Ascorbic Acid, how much bleach will I need to get rid of it? And how slowly do I need to add it?

The AA treatment link just says to re-balance, then bring FC up slowly.

Thanks singingpond.....after reading that thread, I decided to try swampwomans method of using Metal Magic only. I did the sponge test and it took 10-15 minutes for the stains to go away in that area. So, based on that, I raised my pH to 7.6 and dumped 5 quarts of MM into my pool this morning. FC was 3.0, which is the low limit for my CYA of 60-70. I went to work today and can report back later this evening as to whether the stains have been removed.

If it works, I guess I will check the water balance and then start bringing FC back up to around 5.0 with bleach. Once it continues to to hold, I will turn my SWG back on.

I'll update the forum as to how it goes.

Home from work.....not sure if this is expected but FC was down to 1.5, pH down from 7.6 to 7.0 (maybe less).

Stains are pretty much lifted but water is milky. Can barely see the bottom. FIlter pressure has not risen at all.

Should I add Borax to increase the pH?
Should I start bringing FC up?

sorry I made an update, it's 3 days of 24/7 filtering. If you want to raise the FC, I would be very careful and do it slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the text that I found:
Continue running the pump and filter for three days frequently checking the filter pressure and backwashing or cleaning as necessary. METAL MAGIC lifts the metal stain from the pool or spa surface and changes it into a crystal that is removed from the water by the filter. The water may turn milky indicating the METAL MAGIC is working faster than the filter. Continue filtering until the water clears.

- - - Updated - - -

The crystal thing is debatable... But it surely is doing something in your pool! :)

sorry I made an update, it's 3 days of 24/7 filtering. If you want to raise the FC, I would be very careful and do it slowly.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the text that I found:
Continue running the pump and filter for three days frequently checking the filter pressure and backwashing or cleaning as necessary. METAL MAGIC lifts the metal stain from the pool or spa surface and changes it into a crystal that is removed from the water by the filter. The water may turn milky indicating the METAL MAGIC is working faster than the filter. Continue filtering until the water clears.

- - - Updated - - -

The crystal thing is debatable... But it surely is doing something in your pool! :)

You can say that again! I turned my crystal clear water into milk in a few hours. Probably because I had a lot of metal in the water. I guess milky water is part of the process. I'm just afraid if I don't add bleach to keep the FC around 3, I will have an algae bloom (Although I did put a quart of poly60 in before I started this).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.