Pressure, dedicated suction line, and return valve

Sep 11, 2015
Tampa/FL
I just bought a house and have a couple questions about my pool and spa.

1) I have a weekly pool cleaning service and they always hook up the suction side cleaner to the skimmer and tend to leave the valve so that the skimmer and main drain are both completely open.

However this time they almost completely closed the main drain and I came outside to hear the pump making a weird back and forth sound and the pressure was jumping from 0 to normal (say 12) and back again.

Why did this happen? and if it would have been left like that all day would it have ruined my pump?

2) I have a main drain in my pool and 2 drains in the spa. I have a dedicated suction line, when I first got my suction side cleaner I used it but I had to basically close up the skimmer to get enough suction for it to move the automatic cleaner around. Since then I've always just used the skimmer directly and it works very well.

A weird thing I noticed is that when I open the dedicated suction line's valve to use it, it also opened the 2 drains so my spa would completely drain. That seems wrong to me, but is it?

It would be nice to use both the automatic cleaner and the skimmer but as I said the dedicated line's suction seems extremely weak. And I basically have to close the skimmer or main drain almost completely to get a decent suction from the dedicated line and even then is still weaker than just using the skimmer correctly.

Any ideas?

3) I have one return valve that doesn't seem to work, nothing comes out and I can't feel any type of blockage. All the other returns work just fine and even with the pool return valve completely open, absolutely nothing comes out of this one return.

Is it most likely that the previous owner had the plumbing for that one capped off?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.