Solar covers

Jul 23, 2008
Hi - I am in need of a good solar cover. Can anyone recommend the best type of solar cover? My inground pool does not have a heater. I was looking at a clear cover and 14 - 16 mil. But not sure if it will be too heavy and whether get diamond or regular bubbles.

:bump:

I have a cheap - I mean cheap - lightweight blue cover, and it is very effective at retaining the heat that is gained during the day. My cover is on my pool when it is not in use (more often than not).

The heavier the cover the better, so your 14-16 is nice, though I would recommend a reel system if you can because it will be very heavy when wet. I don't think there is much difference regarding color or bubbles....as far as what is more effective. There have been other threads on the forum about that subject.

Here's one....http://www.troublefreepool.com/solar-pool-cover-question-t4111.html?hilit=solar cover clear

Do not get the clear diamond cover. The diamonds burst and retains a lot of water and you will need a very heavy duty reel. My diamond 12 mil worked great for 4 months. I left the cover out in the sun uncovered and I think that is what popped the diamond cells. My pool was full of little diamond plastic. The weight of the cover broke my reel in half. I have a 20X40 pool so the blanket does get heavier than a normal pool. My next cover is going to be a 8 mil clear round.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.