Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar covers

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar covers

Hi - I am in need of a good solar cover. Can anyone recommend the best type of solar cover? My inground pool does not have a heater. I was looking at a clear cover and 14 - 16 mil. But not sure if it will be too heavy and whether get diamond or regular bubbles.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar covers

I have a cheap - I mean cheap - lightweight blue cover, and it is very effective at retaining the heat that is gained during the day. My cover is on my pool when it is not in use (more often than not).

The heavier the cover the better, so your 14-16 is nice, though I would recommend a reel system if you can because it will be very heavy when wet. I don't think there is much difference regarding color or bubbles....as far as what is more effective. There have been other threads on the forum about that subject.

Here's one....http://www.troublefreepool.com/solar...0cover%20clear
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

my 12mil seems fine.. I think i paid maybe $200
    2003 Coleman MAAX Collection Model 706 - 400gal

4. Back To Top    #4

Do not get the clear diamond cover. The diamonds burst and retains a lot of water and you will need a very heavy duty reel. My diamond 12 mil worked great for 4 months. I left the cover out in the sun uncovered and I think that is what popped the diamond cells. My pool was full of little diamond plastic. The weight of the cover broke my reel in half. I have a 20X40 pool so the blanket does get heavier than a normal pool. My next cover is going to be a 8 mil clear round.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Most of my clients find that solar covers are quite effective, preventing heat loss in the evenings, and gathering heat during the day. I must say that (amazingly), you get what you pay for. A good, branded solar cover should last, with care, at least 4 seasons.
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"