Shocked to see have to shock the pool !!

May 31, 2015
edison/nj
We are new pool owner and its just been just few weeks that we got a new pool with new liner and new water... We were noticing that the water was leaking and had the crew back to fix it and because of that they asked us to not strt the motor or do anything to the pool for 2-3 days to check the water level and that has resulted in an algae filled pool.. our blue sparkling water is now all green:rant: So yesterday I put in ard 1 gallon of Chlorine before going to bed as the FC was 0. In the I morning did the detailed water test and results are :-
FC- 6ppm
CC-0
CH- 375 ppm
TA- 210
CYA <20

I have been reading that I need to shock the pool. Its first time would be doing it so little nervous about it. Also wanted to ask should I be back washing every time I vacuum or only if the pressure is 20 and high?

Thanks

We are new pool owner and its just been just few weeks that we got a new pool with new liner and new water... We were noticing that the water was leaking and had the crew back to fix it and because of that they asked us to not strt the motor or do anything to the pool for 2-3 days to check the water level and that has resulted in an algae filled pool.. our blue sparkling water is now all green:rant: So yesterday I put in ard 1 gallon of Chlorine before going to bed as the FC was 0. In the I morning did the detailed water test and results are :-
FC- 6ppm
CC-0
CH- 375 ppm
TA- 210
CYA <20

I have been reading that I need to shock the pool. Its first time would be doing it so little nervous about it. Also wanted to ask should I be back washing every time I vacuum or only if the pressure is 20 and high?

Thanks
Sorry to hear your pool has gone green from a lack of chlorine.

Are you 100% certain of the pool's water volume? I ask because 128oz of 12.5% chlorine would have only raised the FC by 5.2ppm, standard 8.25% chlorine (bleach) would have only raised it 3.5ppm. With a green pool I would suspect you would lose a couple of ppm overnight as well so it is strange you have a FC of 6ppm this morning.

What strength chlorine did you use?

You also have not posted a pH reading, a very important piece of the puzzle. What do you have for a test kit?

We do not Shock our pool, we S.L.A.M. our pool until the algae is completely eradicated.

Seeing that this is new water, your CYA is most likely 0. You are going to want to raise it to about 30ppm to help maintain FC, but I'm not comfortable telling you how much to add due to the strange FC results vs your pool water volume.

You don't need to backwash until your filter pressure rises 15-20% above you clean pressure, a "little dirty" sandfilter actually filters better than a squeaky clean one.

Dom

Sorry to hear your pool has gone green from a lack of chlorine.

Are you 100% certain of the pool's water volume? I ask because 128oz of 12.5% chlorine would have only raised the FC by 5.2ppm, standard 8.25% chlorine (bleach) would have only raised it 3.5ppm. With a green pool I would suspect you would lose a couple of ppm overnight as well so it is strange you have a FC of 6ppm this morning.

What strength chlorine did you use?

You also have not posted a pH reading, a very important piece of the puzzle. What do you have for a test kit?

We do not Shock our pool, we S.L.A.M. our pool until the algae is completely eradicated.

Seeing that this is new water, your CYA is most likely 0. You are going to want to raise it to about 30ppm to help maintain FC, but I'm not comfortable telling you how much to add due to the strange FC results vs your pool water volume.

You don't need to backwash until your filter pressure rises 15-20% above you clean pressure, a "little dirty" sandfilter actually filters better than a squeaky clean one.

Dom
:handwave: Dom,
I am new on testing so really cant see the difference in the pH level its between 7.8 to 8.2 . I have a TF-100 test kit.
I had added precisely 1 gallon and 2 cups at night. Also I had tested the chlorine yesterday morning it was 0 and I had only limited chlorine with me so had just added 3 cups.. SO I guess that must have caused the confusion.
The Chlorine strength is 8.25% . The pool is not totally green as I have been vacuuming it too but still to see blurred green on new pool is heart breaking. And as I read more I feel this is mustard algae.
Should I first slam the pool and then increase the CYA? The pool equipments are old, just yesterday I changed the spider gasket of the main shut off valve and the o-ring of the sand filter.
PS:- Its been raining here for past two days.

How's your filter/pump? It will now be running 24/7 during the SLAM. Do you have a good brush? Brushing daily is key.

You are going to want to get your pH down closer to 7.2 for the SLAM, as well as add enough CYA to get a level of 30ppm to protect the FC during the SLAM. You need to do the pH now as the pH test is unreliable at SLAM FC levels. Use Pool Math to determine how much Muriatic Acid (or dry acid) will be needed to go from 7.8 to 7.4, we cant tell you how much to add until we know what strength/type acid you are using (eg. 66oz of 31.75% Muriatic Acid / 132oz of 15.7% Muriatic Acid / 89oz by weight of dry acid).

The CYA will take about a week to register on the test so we will assume it is at 30ppm at the beginning of the SLAM. You'll need about 96 ounces by weight (6lbs). You can put it into a sock or two and put the closed socks into your skimmer basket, or hang it in front of a return. If you need to turn off the pump for an extended length of time for some reason take the sock out of the skimmer and hang it in the pool (off the liner) until the pump is running again.

Once the pH is at target you can begin the SLAM by raising FC to 12ppm per the Chlorine / CYA Chart and MAINTAIN that level (or a couple of ppm above) for the duration of the SLAM.

Please be sure to read the SLAM instructions I linked in my previous post, as well as The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

I know this seems like a lot, but you can do it, just ask questions on anything you are unsure of and we will help you through it.

Oh, we love pictures to document the progress. Sometimes it feels like you are not making any progress until you review a few days of pictures. Try to take them in the same spot about the same time of day, usually stairs show good progress of clarity.

Dom

How's your filter/pump? It will now be running 24/7 during the SLAM. Do you have a good brush? Brushing daily is key.

Dom
Pool filter is on for past 2 days now.. I am adding CYA and muratic acid today.. last night the Chlorine test was 6.5 and in this morning it was 5ppm.. I know these levels of Chlorine are low for slamming.. I am first trying to add the CYA in order to make it at least 30. and then target 12 ppm FC for slamming.. I understand CYA takes time to show on the test..

I have a question that has been eating me up.. I hope its not stupid.. I am trying to understand y i got so much algae all of a sudden.. not running motor for just two day.. becoz initially when the pool started i didnt have motor for 2 weeks and still my brushing etc helped keep it clean.. So my question is, is it possible that the pool guys when they came to fix the pool for leak they went in the pool with the clothes on and they were coming from from another work, where they cod have been cleaning a pool with green swamp. Can the algae be transferred like this from their clothes to my pool?

Pool filter is on for past 2 days now.. I am adding CYA and muratic acid today.. last night the Chlorine test was 6.5 and in this morning it was 5ppm.. I know these levels of Chlorine are low for slamming.. I am first trying to add the CYA in order to make it at least 30. and then target 12 ppm FC for slamming.. I understand CYA takes time to show on the test..

I have a question that has been eating me up.. I hope its not stupid.. I am trying to understand y i got so much algae all of a sudden.. not running motor for just two day.. becoz initially when the pool started i didnt have motor for 2 weeks and still my brushing etc helped keep it clean.. So my question is, is it possible that the pool guys when they came to fix the pool for leak they went in the pool with the clothes on and they were coming from from another work, where they cod have been cleaning a pool with green swamp. Can the algae be transferred like this from their clothes to my pool?
There are no stupid questions on this forum. Every one of us started with zero experience.

Your filter and pump do not sanitize the pool. Chlorine is the sanitizer that kills algae & bacteria, and it must be maintained at the proper levels.

Your pumps primary job is to circulate the water. Your filter's primary job is to remove visible particulates (dirt and things killed by the chlorine) from the water.

Your pool is green because FC levels were too low, allowing algae to start growing, and it can quickly overwhelm the chlorine. With no CYA to buffer the chlorine the levels were most likely dropping to zero faster than you were testing & adding.

How often were you checking and adding chlorine?

Yes, algae spores can be carried in clothing, that is why it is advised to not go in the pool with swimsuits that have been in a lake or pond unless they are washed first. Same goes for floats, toys, goggles, etc.

I doubt that was the case here, especially with you finding FC at 0.0ppm.

Stock up on bleach, and make sure you maintain FC at shock level until you pass all 3 criteria for a successful SLAM. It's OK to keep FC 2-4ppm higher to help cover the anticipated drop. Be sure to test as often as practical, especially when starting. That algae is going to put up a fight and consume chlorine quickly at first, so test every few hours until you see the FC starting to hold, then back off on testing a bit.

Once you start the SLAM it is very important you do not let that FC drop below SLAM level. Be aggressive, kill the algae, don't dance with it.

Dom

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you brush daily, the more often the better. Algae can grow a "skin", or biofilm that will shield it from the chlorine. Brushing is essential to break up these "skinned" clumps of algae spores.

That is NOT a stupid question at all. Their clothes MIGHT have had some stuff on it but it is doubtful. We have heard of people swimming in lakes and rivers and swimming in the same suits in the home pool. That is NOT something I would do but.....with enough FC it can be done. The problem was your FC :(

I see you saying the water sat without the a motor for 2 weeks. What did you add to the pool in that time to help keep it algae free?

Just brushing will not keep a pool clear. There has to be some form FC.

What I THINK happened was you added nice, clear, clean water to your pool! OH SO NICE! THEN........the water sat without any added or too little added FC. Yes you brushed but that is not the same as the pump running and turning the water over. For those two weeks the algae was having a welcome party just waiting to show it's face. Once there was enough algae you saw your unwelcome guests.

You have found TFP and know what to do now. If you have ANY questions just let us know!

Here is to a nice, clear pool again! :cheers:

Kim

That is NOT a stupid question at all. Their clothes MIGHT have had some stuff on it but it is doubtful. We have heard of people swimming in lakes and rivers and swimming in the same suits in the home pool. That is NOT something I would do but.....with enough FC it can be done. The problem was your FC :(

I see you saying the water sat without the a motor for 2 weeks. What did you add to the pool in that time to help keep it algae free?

Just brushing will not keep a pool clear. There has to be some form FC.

What I THINK happened was you added nice, clear, clean water to your pool! OH SO NICE! THEN........the water sat without any added or too little added FC. Yes you brushed but that is not the same as the pump running and turning the water over. For those two weeks the algae was having a welcome party just waiting to show it's face. Once there was enough algae you saw your unwelcome guests.

You have found TFP and know what to do now. If you have ANY questions just let us know!

Here is to a nice, clear pool again! :cheers:

Kim

Thanks Kim it was:goodpost: and put it in a good way...
Pool is getting bluer, my kids have been :calm: and patient .. When the motor was not running i used to brush it twice a day and add chlorine.. kids used to help mix too by swimming ard..
I would say with this slamming I have gained some confidence (though its still not over..took FC reading at night and will wait for morning readings) and hoping to close the pool myself.. I see there is a whole forum dedicated to closing and opening...
I will make sure I keep Chlorine in handy ... Is there any place where I can get it cheaper? I buy from costco ..

Crossing my fingers for morning readings..
Thanks again.

I get mine from my local Ace Hardware store. I "rented" 4 2.5 gals jugs from them. That 10 gals lasts me 12 days. I pay $21.06 for it. It is at least 11%.

Some people get their bleach from Walmart. They get the 8.25% Greater Value bleach. (NO splashless or scented, just plain bleach).

Some pool stores sell chlorine (12%) with you using their "rented" jugs.

I will let you do the math to find YOUR best price but I hope this at least points your in the right direction.

-Closing your pool- We have a link for that!

Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool

Of course go and ask any questions your might have as we are very aware every pool and home is different. I am not active in the part as I do not close my pool. My crazy husband gets in it year round! NOT me! LOL

Kim

I see you are in NJ, any Ocean State Job Lot in the area? I get a gallon of 12.5% for $2.99, and it's fresh from a local plant.

In the summer they have cases (4-gallons) for $10.

Dom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you..:bowdown: bt these stores are far off. I cleared the OCLT:party:.. My kids have two school days off and wanted to swim in the pool :bounce: .. water looks blue and sparkling but the chlorine levels are still high. What can i do to get them back down to 3-4ppm?

Thank you..:bowdown: bt these stores are far off. I cleared the OCLT:party:.. My kids have two school days off and wanted to swim in the pool :bounce: .. water looks blue and sparkling but the chlorine levels are still high. What can i do to get them back down to 3-4ppm?
It is safe to swim if you can see the bottom of the deepest part of the pool, & FC is at or below SLAM level for your CYA.

If you are at a CYA of 30ppm, once the FC gets to 12ppm you are good to go.

It's good to see you passed the OCLT, and that the water is clear of any visible algae, dead or alive. Your CC's were =/<0.5ppm too?

Dom

If you are at a CYA of 30ppm, once the FC gets to 12ppm you are good to go.

Your CC's were =/<0.5ppm too?

Dom
Thanks Dom. I am a bit confused here, should the FC be 3-4ppm for swimming or 12ppm? because if it 12ppm I will have to add more chlorine before my kids jump into pool today. Also there was just a slight tint of pink when I was testing for CC, is that ok?

Ocean Odd Lot (Exit 109), in Shrewsberry has 12.5% liquid chlorine for $3 (and it moves quickly so it is your best bet). Grab some friends, take a ride and stock up for the month, or this trip may not be economical. You are talking 30 miles from Edison, NJ.

For me, it is very convenient. Your FC should be at the minimum based on your CYA. The 12 ppm level is shock level, and you can swim safely up to shock level. If you are not SLAM'ing, then there is no need to keep at shock level.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Test your water, then add enough based on daily consumption. If you are slightly over, that is not an issue. Once a week, you can adjust (skip if need be). Slight pink testing for CC is fine. If you add one drop of agent and it turns back clear, then your CC is less than .5, which is where you need to be. If using 10 ml. sample, then your CC is probably more like .1 to .2, and not .5. If it takes 2 drops to turn clear, then you will have to start the SLAM process.

Thanks Dom. I am a bit confused here, should the FC be 3-4ppm for swimming or 12ppm? because if it 12ppm I will have to add more chlorine before my kids jump into pool today. Also there was just a slight tint of pink when I was testing for CC, is that ok?

It is safe to swim UP to SLAM level. Send those kids into the pool!!!!

Here is a chart to help you out. Look at your CYA levels. Look at the Shock/SLAM levels. It is safe to swim up to the SLAM levels.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

CANNON BALL! Tell the kids Ms. Kim said happy swimming!!! :splash:

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.