Aug 3, 2015
Grants Pass, OR
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Good morning,

I read some threads, but thought I should post a specific question. The problem is... we have neared the end of pool season. However, we are about to set record high temps this weekend with another cold snap to quickly follow. Today - 103F. Tomorrow - 99. Sunday - 94. Then Monday - 80. Tuesday 75, etc. So my motivation to shock and wait is pretty low. Read on...

After about 10 days of no swimming following a prior cold snap, a fishing trip and a Labor Day camping session, the weather had warmed and I received a text from the DW on Wednesday asking if the pool was in shape for swimming. (It always is unless I apprise her otherwise, but it's a good idea to check and make sure.)

I told her I had tested it (FAS-DPD) that morning and she was sanitized, balanced and good to go! (in fact, the FC was on the high end of the suggested range per the Pool Calculator.)

A bit later I received another text... with a photo. The pool was not sanitary after all. The floating, dead Opossum was apparently about mid-pool until the cover unrolling brought it to the steps.

Upon my return home from work... I surveyed the damage. The animal was fully intact with no oozing or anything, though it did have a fairly pungent odor. I admit it's possible the thing had been there for as many as 10 days, but it doesn't seem highly likely to me.

I promptly removed it and added 1 jug of bleach in hopes of easing the concerns of the DW.

In my estimation, there isn't much that animal could be carrying that could survive that level of chlorine. Pool Calculator recommends 5-9 ppm with a CYA of 60 and I have not noticed added chlorine use.

FC - Was 8.5. Bumped to 10.5 with 1 jug of bleach after discovery. A day and a half later (this morning) it's still at 9.5
CC - < O.5
pH - 7.5
Alk (CYA adjusted) - 100
CYA - 60
Temp - 84-87 (solar)

The CDC says we're in good shape...

http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/pools/animals/dead-animals-and-pools.html

Your thoughts?

Typically when something like this happens we advise members to take the pool up to SLAM level for maybe one day based on your CYA. In your case, a CYA would require and FC of 24 based on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. You may even want to consider doing an OCLT just to ensure there are no concerns. Also give the filter a good cleaning/backwashing, perhaps replace DE if it applies, then you should be fine.

Thanks TS & Woody.

I can't say I did an OCLT, exactly, but...

After removing the critter at about 6 pm Wednesday evening, I brought the level to 10.5.

After one night... the next day of full sun (though pool covered) and one more night... I tested at dawn this morning.

Chlorine dropped to 9.5.

I'll start a proper OCLT this evening but a 10% drop in the above conditions seems reasonable to me. How 'bout you?

As long as the FC is below the shock level for your CYA, it's perfectly safe to swim without burning up the FC with thiosulfate. You could if you like, but perfectly safe either way.
Yeah, I learned that here in my last thread. Thanks!

However... even with perfect balance, isn't it going to be a little uncomfortable?

Also...

I've read the ChemGeek stuff on chlorine vs CYA, but thought the Pool Calculator was the most up to date as far as real world experience.

Pool Calculator says 18 for shock (34 for mustard algae.) Why do I need to go to 24?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe in your 1st post you stated your CYA was 60, so using the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart, that equates to an FC of 24. If you're looking at the Poolmath calculator, the "5-9" is for the normal range. :) 24 is still "shock" level.

However... even with perfect balance, isn't it going to be a little uncomfortable?

I haven't swam much in my pool with an FC above 10, but my CYA was only 30 ppm at the time. Those FC levels at your CYA aren't likely to be very noticeable. May be a bit harsher on hair and bathing suits (fading) but only a small amount. If you're worried, you can always give it a test swim yourself before lowering the FC from 20ish that it's at and if you find it uncomfortable, thiosulfate it down.

I haven't swam much in my pool with an FC above 10, but my CYA was only 30 ppm at the time. Those FC levels at your CYA aren't likely to be very noticeable. May be a bit harsher on hair and bathing suits (fading) but only a small amount. If you're worried, you can always give it a test swim yourself before lowering the FC from 20ish that it's at and if you find it uncomfortable, thiosulfate it down.
Yeah, my girls trust me for my great pool water. And now that replacing ecomatic cells is no longer feasible, I'm a bit handicapped in that regard until I can afford a new SWG. A little thiosulfate will be worth the dough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.