Haven't shocked all year....

squib

Apr 2, 2015
TX
So I switched to the TFPC method this year and use a Stenner pump, etc. I have gone all summer with chemicals being in range and the pool being clear. As such, I have not shocked the pool in 2015. Is that a problem or should I just be glad that I don't need to mess with it.

I guess my question more simply is: "Do you need to shock the pool periodically regardless of tests/clarity?"

Ha, maybe you could tell it something so ridiculous it would be "shocked" to hear it. Or, if it's the prude type, a naughty joke, lol. That would certainly shock it! (Sorry, feeling a bit cheeky tonight.)

Keep in mind that its pool stores who have you convinced that routine "shocking" is necessary.
So of course they're gonna to tell you its need and will sell it to you happily.

Ya think they're offering "free pool water tests" out of the goodness of their hearts?! LOL :shark:

You are obviously going through pool store withdrawals. It happened to all of us at one time.
^^100% this^^

The most fun way to get through this is to have people over to admire your water quality. When they ask you how you do it, look around like you are about to tell them a huge secret. Beckon them in closer and ask in a very low voice, "Do you have any idea how often you have to shock to keep the water this clear?" They will tell you no, or try to guess. Just shake your head, look around again, and speak even quieter, "Absolutely never..." and look at them all wide eyed. Then switch completely back to normal and ask them how they think the Cowboys will do this year and refuse to speak about the pool the rest of the evening. Do this to as many people as you can and let the buzz take on a life of its own.

Good times. Good times.

This is known as sparklypoolitis. After converting to TFP it's very common. Frequently exhibits itself with feelings of disbelief with cited comments of: "It's really this easy?!?" or "I never knew pool water could look this good." also "You mean I never have to go to the pool store... ever?!?" and even "Wait... I don't have to throw mystery stuff in my pool anymore, praying for results?" Frequently leads to spending the saved money on pool toys, gadgets and extra sunscreen for the increased usage of the pool. Can eventually lead to further complications such as pool snob behavior, where nearly all hotel or public pools have no appeal or invoke feelings of disgust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FWIW, at least in my area, Leslie's actually has the better muriatic acid (the 31.45% stuff) over Lowe's or HD (14.5% only) and it is only a couple dollars more for better than twice the concentration but I got lucky and found they had a sale on it last I was in so I bought 4 gallons. Also, some pool stores have pretty good deals on their liquid chlorine...particularly HASA (12.5%) chlorine. So for the TFP-Informed, pool stores can still be viable places to visit. :)

Incidentally, when I was at Leslie's to get my MA, I witnessed two distressed ladies having algae problems with their pool and two different employees gave them both the same song and dance and sold them all kinds of stuff to fix it. I SO wanted to take the ladies aside and truly help them. Sometimes I feel like we should have TFP 'business cards' to handout to folks like this! :)

We do!! If you do a search for it there is even a print you can do if you want to. But if you ask nicely I think Dave or Rebecca will send you some of them...

- - - Updated - - -

I made my own from the template and I stick them into hands when I'm near a pool store. I say simply, "Pay it forward" and walk away.

New BBB pool owner here, I stopped using tricolor pucks and added my very first dose of bleach yesterday!

Ok, to all who have never shocked pool, don't combined clorimines eventually build up in pool which requires shocking?

I have never shocked my pool as its only 2 months old and after testing no CC are showing up.

In an outdoor pool, combined chlorine species dissipate very quickly due to the exposure to sunlight (UV light), especially when proper FC levels are maintained for your CYA level. The only time you'll see combined chlorine species hang around or be measurable for any length of time is when dealing with an algae outbreak or special circumstances when dealing with ammonia in the pool. Indoor pools and spas on the other hand have a tendency to build up combined chlorine because they do not get sunlight and have much higher bather loads as a rule. In this case, it's best to use an ozone or UV accessory or I believe using MPS can deal with combined chlorine build up in these indoor pools.

Ok, to all who have never shocked pool, don't combined clorimines eventually build up in pool which requires shocking?
Proper FC levels and sunlight burn off CC in outdoor pools. I personally haven't gotten a hint of pink on the CC test this entire year on my pool.

And we never shock a pool with excessive CC. We SLAM it. You will need to stay after class Steve ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.