Ozonator shmozonator...

e-rock

Sep 11, 2015
IN
So the ozonator in our outdoor hot tub is shot. The dealer told us you can't just replace the bulbs because blahblahblahblah. After reading several threads int he pool section. it looks like an ozonator is pointless if the pool/hotub is located outside? Is that true?

Of course the maintenance guy went over the "features" of having one in the hot tub - use less chemicals.. and more blahblahblah.

Can I get an honest opinion on this expensive part that lasts.. ohhhh a couple years? Thanks all!

Hello and welcome to TFP! I think the following post from one of our resident experts (Chem geek) sums it up very well:
The biggest plus with a functioning ozonator (not all work properly or put out enough ozone to work well) is that it will oxidize many contaminants in the water, but it's not fast as it takes time to get water circulated through the ozonator. Though spas circulate water faster than pools, it still takes 4.6 turnovers of the water to get 99% of the water through the ozonator and that's assuming no dead spots. You still need a residual sanitizer if you're going to prevent bacterial growth in the bulk pool water.
The biggest minus with an ozonator is that it mostly injects air into the water and that aerates the water. If the ozonator is always on (and many are), this leads to a rise in pH if you use a hypochlorite source of chlorine. So many spa users use Dichlor which is acidic (when accounting for chlorine usage) and this helps maintain the pH, but has the CYA rise.
An ozonator probably makes more sense in a bromine spa than a chlorine spa as it can reactivate the bromide to bromine (though can create bromates -- so don't drink the water) and most bromine systems are net acidic so the pH will be more stable with the ozonator. As was pointed out, it is technically unnecessary if one maintains a residual sanitizer (chlorine, bromine, PHMB/biguanide/Baqua).
Just keep in mind that the sanitizer usage in a spa is MUCH higher than in a pool due to the lower water volume (higher bather load) and higher temperature that causes one to produce more sweat and causes chlorine to outgas more (especially with an ozonator).

In hot tubs that are covered the majority of the time they can have a place depending on bather load, and more importantly there is not much of a downside. So in other words if you use your hot tub a lot and keep it covered when not in use then yes an Ozonator can help, however if you only soak in it on the weekends, etc. then an Ozonator will actually consume more chlorine than the tub would use to oxidize bather waste if you did not have one. Also unlike Ozonators for pools, ones built for hot tubs are relatively cheap (about $100 for a Del brand Ozonator new off ebay, Del makes Ozonators for a number of other companies and are probably the biggest name in the market).

Ike

p.s. traditional models are only good for a couple of years, but some of these newer cornoa discharge units have a 5+ year life expectancy

Thanks for all the replies. Ours is outside with a cover...and we typically use it 2-3 times per week in the winter...and rarely in the summer.

We use bromine tabs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 84
If your Del ozonator is like mine you can hear when air is being sucked through it, and there is a small filter cap you can put your finger over to block the airflow if you are not sure. As long as there is airflow through the ozonator, you are getting bubbles and there is power to it you should be good.

I posted another youtube video here: Sep 20, 2015 - YouTube

The issue here is...I can't seem to locate where the injector valve is located in my setup. I believe the elbow joint you can see in the video is used to connect different size tubes. My spa is an early 2000 model.. maybe 2003. The type of ozonator I had previously is posted above - UltraPure ozonator. This ozonator wasn't connected to any type of injector - at least from what I could see. The light on the ozonator was working yesterday.. and now it isn't. I'm not sure these issues burnt out the ozonator. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on type of tub you have the ozonator may be connected to an internal timer

Interesting... so it may be a different setup for the ozone injector and it's just that the "internal clock" might have it off at the moment. I will check tomorrow morning and see what it looks like. I'll keep you posted - thanks!

Issac- by chance.. did you happen to take a look at the last video I posted. I'm still unsure if this is even hooked up correctly as I can clearly see no sign of an injector in any part of the connections. The tube to the ozonator is connected to the flow piece... which is then connected to a small segment which has water... then connected to an elbow ... which is then connected to a larger tube.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.